Clubfoots lost mine, Parrott City Co. lead

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
Clubfoot's lost mine, Parrott City Co. lead

The beautiful La Plata Mountains rise up only 15 miles northwest of Durango, Colorado. Averaging nearly 12,000 feet in elevation, the range forms the boundary between La Plata and Montezuma counties south of Indian Trail Ridge for about 10 miles or so. The famous La Plata Canyon separates the La Plata Mountains from the smaller Ohwiler Range to the east. Prospected by Spaniards during the early 1700's and then by Americans in the mid-1800's, the canyon is pocked by many old mines and prospect pits. A number of crude Spanish arrastres have been found carved into the canyon floor. The beautiful La Plata River drains the huge amphitheater formed by the La Plata Mountains to the west and the Ohwiler Range to the east.

In 1874, the mining town called Parrott City was founded near the banks of the La Plata River by prospector John Moss. Parrott City was a booming town throughout the 1870's. It was during this period of time that a man known only as Clubfoot showed up in the area. Clubfoot had a deformed right foot and walked with a pronounced limp, but he was an experienced miner and prospector. Sometime in the late 1870's, while Parrott City was in its heyday, Clubfoot is known to have made a rich gold strike on nearby Parrott Mountain.

Clubfoot was essentially a loner. The only friend and acquaintance of this reclusive prospector was the local blacksmith. In addition to sharpening Clubfoot's steel drills and chisels, the blacksmith occasionally sold his ore for him at the assay office. Clubfoot eventually came to trust the blacksmith implicitly and talked openly of his mine on Parrott Mountain. He told the blacksmith that his mine was located near the head of Root Gulch, just below Sunset Pass. He also indicated that the mine was well hidden and that he kept his tools stashed inside the tunnel.

Clubfoot was fated to enjoy his great strike for only a short period of time. Later that year, Clubfoot's mangled body was found in Sunset Pass, a victim of a bear attack. The old prospector was buried in the Parrott City graveyard.

Although Clubfoot's lost mine has never been found, evidence for its existence is strong. The northern slopes of Parrott Mountain, including Root Gulch, are host to several rich mines. The Comstock, Lucky Moon, and Mountain Lily veins were all discovered in Root Basin. The fabulous Red Arrow Mine was discovered in East Mancos Canyon, on the western flanks of Parrott Mountain. This mine produced some of the richest gold ore in North America.

Erik H

Greenie
May 17, 2022
Durango Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone here ever gone looking for this mine? I have poked around in the area a few times and have not heard of a spot called Sunset Pass, could that be the saddle between Parrot and Madden peak?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread