Upvote 1

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm currently using an Apex and very happy with it, built like a battleship. IMO...you don't want a light weight pick as some weight helps bust up bedrock. Mine is an 18" handle which seems fine for shallow holes. I'll be getting a longer handle to replace the 18" before next season to keep from busting knuckles on the deeper holes..... Just a few things to think about before you buy your pick......

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a Bunks hermit pick and love it it is one stout pick

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I'm currently using an Apex and very happy with it, built like a battleship. IMO...you don't want a light weight pick as some weight helps bust up bedrock. Mine is an 18" handle which seems fine for shallow holes. I'll be getting a longer handle to replace the 18" before next season to keep from busting knuckles on the deeper holes..... Just a few things to think about before you buy your pick......
Looks good. Just got one online with the 36" handle. Great price, but the fabric tip protector was a little pricey at $31.00. I was going g to get the 18" handle, but thanks to your advice, I got the 36" handle instead.
Thanks for that.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I have a Bunks hermit pick and love it it is one stout pick
Hey oldkoot,
Punched in Bunks hermit pick, but when I got to the store, they were sold out. I still want one so I'm going to check back from time to time.
I got one of those Apex picks with the 36" handle. The price was great. Seen them at other places for a lot more.
Thanks for the information.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
The Apex pick looks like it was made from an automotive leaf spring.

Screenshot from 2022-01-09 21-28-23.png

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed different people using different picks for prospecting. Is there a best pick ? Different designs for different conditions? Wood handles vs. Metal? I'm gearing up. I want something stout... lightweight would be good, but durability is paramount.
Any suggestions or opinions are are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Steer clear of the fiberglass handled ones with the foam grip. The foam slips loose when wet and the circular handle doesn’t balance well with an unbalanced head. It tends to want to spin in your hand.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey oldkoot,
Punched in Bunks hermit pick, but when I got to the store, they were sold out. I still want one so I'm going to check back from time to time.
I got one of those Apex picks with the 36" handle. The price was great. Seen them at other places for a lot more.
Thanks for the information.
You will not regret purchasing the hermit pick when you get one I have used mine to pick through solid rock at times they are one tough pick there is a couple of places here in AZ that carries them mainly shops that deal with gold hunters dont think its permissable to post up links if they are not a sponsor seller on TNET though

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Steer clear of the fiberglass handled ones with the foam grip. The foam slips loose when wet and the circular handle doesn’t balance well with an unbalanced head. It tends to want to spin in your hand.
Hey Tesorodeoro,
Great moniker. Yeah, I noticed the guys really whacking away at stuff were using wood handled implements. The old timers got it right the first time.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
You will not regret purchasing the hermit pick when you get one I have used mine to pick through solid rock at times they are one tough pick there is a couple of places here in AZ that carries them mainly shops that deal with gold hunters dont think its permissable to post up links if they are not a sponsor seller on TNET though
Hello Oldcoot,
I'm pretty new to this site. I forget sometimes. I think someone should call those guys up and get them to advertise on this site. It's a win, win, win situation. The site gets a cut, the store does more business and we don't have to roam the internet. TreasureNet: Your One Stop for All Your Treasure Needs. I could sell that.
I noticed when watching videos that the guys were wailing away with those things. It has a unique scoop that the Apex doesn't. And finally, they dont cost a small fortune.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Oldcoot,
I'm pretty new to this site. I forget sometimes. I think someone should call those guys up and get them to advertise on this site. It's a win, win, win situation. The site gets a cut, the store does more business and we don't have to roam the internet. TreasureNet: Your One Stop for All Your Treasure Needs. I could sell that.
I noticed when watching videos that the guys were wailing away with those things. It has a unique scoop that the Apex doesn't. And finally, they dont cost a small fortune.
I dont know which site you were looking at them but the sites that usually stock them were out also, the Bunks hermit pick is vary popular with the gold prospectors and kind of a unique prospecting pick it is a beast of a pick, not one you would want to fall and run that sharp end into you, because it will do some severe damage i always carried it by the sharp point and was always ready to throw it if I fell as I did not want to end up in the hospital from a wound

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tesorodeoro,
Great moniker. Yeah, I noticed the guys really whacking away at stuff were using wood handled implements. The old timers got it right the first time.
I definitely would want an oval wooden handle. I used an east wing rock pick you years. Dug some nice stuff up that way.

Tesoro de oro = Golden Treasure or Treasure of Gold

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Estwing rock hammers are great for what it is designed to do, I own a couple of them. There's reasons you'll rarely see "nugget shooters" using this hammer. The Bunks, Apex type picks, etc. have been designed by and for nugget shooters for nugget shooting.... they work the best. Magnets to capture junk, optional handle lengths for more depth and leverage, and a wide blade to move more dirt. My first season nugget shooting I used my Estwing rock hammer and it got me through ok on very shallow gold...but the deeper stuff where you need to move some volume....forget it.
Right tool for the right job....... JMO's

Too the OP...you made a good choice and if that handle is too long you can always cut it down?....

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I definitely would want an oval wooden handle. I used an east wing rock pick you years. Dug some nice stuff up that way.

Tesoro de oro = Golden Treasure or Treasure of Gold
I spent some time in Latin America. I picked the language. It's been a while, but I figured it out. The name of our boat was SUSURU. The People got a kick out of it. The same word is used there. It means: a soft rustling sound.
Adios amigo.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Estwing rock hammers are great for what it is designed to do, I own a couple of them. There's reasons you'll rarely see "nugget shooters" using this hammer. The Bunks, Apex type picks, etc. have been designed by and for nugget shooters for nugget shooting.... they work the best. Magnets to capture junk, optional handle lengths for more depth and leverage, and a wide blade to move more dirt. My first season nugget shooting I used my Estwing rock hammer and it got me through ok on very shallow gold...but the deeper stuff where you need to move some volume....forget it.
Right tool for the right job....... JMO's

Too the OP...you made a good choice and if that handle is too long you can always cut it down?....

I can send the cut off piece back and get a partial refund...ha ha.
Rock hammer(s) are on the list. Still hasn't decided which ones. I might keep my eyes open at a swap meet.
Those things show up now and again and I love swap meet prices.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions