Clueless about those pesky picks.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Estwing Big Blue Geo/Paleo pick is a sure winner when you need to dig through a lot of damp, compacted cobble/clay packed rock. I've used it for years, one tough pick that gets you down to the bedrock where you need to get. Great steel that lasts.

Other picks do different jobs, and I have ones with the wide end that are great when you need to get dry material out of the way/out of a hole in a hurry (the Estwing Big Blue does not excel at that).

Glad to see you getting involved in the fun of chasing the gold.

Good luck, and all the best,

Lanny

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Apex pick looks like it was made from an automotive leaf spring.

View attachment 2002360

Automotive leaf springs are made out of great steel that lasts, and because the steel is quality, you can restore a nice edge after you dull it.

Don't know if these Apex picks use automotive spring steel, but I had a buddy that made picks for years from leaf spring steel, and he always sold out--he sold them down in the desert where lots of gold digging was going on.

All the best,

Lanny

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is a 18" wood handled landscaper's pick/adze,
that is cast iron - don't recommend on serious hard rock work....it reduces itself over time - I've had to sharpen it often thru the season.
Cheap tho, around 20-25 dollars when I got it.

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
i have 4 or 5 picks, but my 36" hermit pick gets used the most. it can move a lot of dirt fast.
i have been using mine to pry bedrock apart and its developing cracks close to the welds, ill weld the cracks.
the Apex pick is better for busting up bedrock.
the other pick, 43" in the picture is something bill southern sells. it is a shovel that has been nicely cut and rearranged
into a pick. the pointy end used to be the spine of the shovel. it works very good and very light. i wish it had a finer tip
for getting into cracks.

Attachments

• 20220110_132008 (2).jpg
    20220110_132008 (2).jpg
    800 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
that is cast iron - don't recommend on serious hard rock work....it reduces itself over time - I've had to sharpen it often thru the season.
Hello Mr Dig,
Yeah, I've got a pick ax. I've had for about 20 years. I'm not sure I want to go hiking with it. I figure to save 10 lbs. at least with a dedicated prospecting pick.
Thanks.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
i have 4 or 5 picks, but my 36" hermit pick gets used the most. it can move a lot of dirt fast.
i have been using mine to pry bedrock apart and its developing cracks close to the welds, ill weld the cracks.
the other pick, 43" in the picture is something bill southern sells. it is a shovel that has been nicely cut and rearranged
into a pick. the pointy end used to be the spine of the shovel. it works very good and very light. i wish it had a finer tip
for getting into cracks.
Since I am a complete idiot when it comes to picks, would you tell me which is which using the terms left or right. Thanks. They both look pretty business like.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did notice that bunks is just selling the head only not sure he has any of the heads but if you are seriously thinking of getting the hermit pick it might be a way to go you might try giving him a call hes a pretty nice guy to talk to and vary knowledgeable about gold searching

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
The Estwing Big Blue Geo/Paleo pick is a sure winner when you need to dig through a lot of damp, compacted cobble/clay packed rock. I've used it for years, one tough pick that gets you down to the bedrock where you need to get. Great steel that lasts.

Other picks do different jobs, and I have ones with the wide end that are great when you need to get dry material out of the way/out of a hole in a hurry (the Estwing Big Blue does not excel at that).

Lanny
That thing LOOKS like it will bust up rock. Little pricey but should last for years.

Lanny
Not sure if my reply got through. Looks like a dedicated rock pick. Does anyone sell them through this website?

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since I am a complete idiot when it comes to picks, would you tell me which is which using the terms left or right. Thanks. They both look pretty business like.
I think the left or right is referring to which side you carry the pick on and which hand you dig with not really sure though you are not an idiot at least you are asking the only dumb question is the one you do not ask

I believe Bunk hand forges his picks in his shop and makes them all by hand, I have busted up some pretty tough rocks with mine and the pointy tip has never even de formed

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I did notice that bunks is just selling the head only not sure he has any of the heads but if you are seriously thinking of getting the hermit pick it might be a way to go you might try giving him a call hes a pretty nice guy to talk to and vary knowledgeable about gold searching
I'm hoping by the time I get all my ducks lined up (sometime next Spring) I will have gotten one. I'm going to keep checking back.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to call the guy.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I think the left or right is referring to which side you carry the pick on and which hand you dig with not really sure though you are not an idiot at least you are asking the only dumb question is the one you do not ask

I believe Bunk hand forges his picks in his shop and makes them all by hand, I have busted up some pretty tough rocks with mine and the pointy tip has never even de formed
No , I was referring to the picture that someone posted. I'm not sure which is which. He just refers to the 43" one. I don't know if 43" is the longer or shorter of the two picks pictured.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
for getting into cracks.
Which is which?

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021

Called the number the

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Called the number the
My phone is messed up. It keeps sending messages before I'm done. Any way...Called the number on one of the internet webs, and got his wife!
Seems like they got the last digit wrong. Talked for a bit. She's a hoot.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Where did you pick up your Apex? I have an 18" one that I love & thinking about a longer one to go with it.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No , I was referring to the picture that someone posted. I'm not sure which is which. He just refers to the 43" one. I don't know if 43" is the longer or shorter of the two picks pictured.
sorry miss took what you were asking LOL

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Where did you pick up your Apex? I have an 18" one that I love & thinking about a longer one to go with it.
I just went to my magic phone and went to Google and typed in Apex picks. At least that's what I think I typed in. It might have been "gold prospecting supplies". It happened so long ago, like yesterday.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Even if you buy a cheap pick with soft edges you can always get a weld shop (or you can weld them yourself ) with "hard facing electrodes ". I have done this in the past on some of my home made picks!

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Which is which?
Hello Mr. Nugget,
I just went to the Bunks site and ordered a Hermit pick. He only wants to ship the "head", not the handle, due to excessive freight charges. I'm okay with that. I'll go to one of the old timey hardware stores and pick up a hickory ax handle and then whittle it to fit into the head and then start digging to China.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread