Upvote 1

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've noticed different people using different picks for prospecting. Is there a best pick ? Different designs for different conditions? Wood handles vs. Metal? I'm gearing up. I want something stout... lightweight would be good, but durability is paramount.
Any suggestions or opinions are are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
This is what I used when I was still going out.

Breaks rock good. Use the pick on the cracks. Also digs pretty good. Maybe not what you were looking for. If digging holes then an Engineer Bar. I liked the 1 inch thick better than the 1/2 inch. Just lift and drop it, don't stab with it. Just lift and drop. Also great pry bar for moving rocks.
Lowes carries them.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 Old Picks one is 12" tip to tip and a mini of the Huge son of a gun that you should have a mule to pack it very far. , I have seen a Bunch of various styles on Ebay in Vintage rock picks and they will show up for you. good luck on the pick hunt.

tucando

Greenie
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
Detector(s) used
White's VISION/ MXT Pro- GPZ 7000/3500 & BFO'S- GM3-Compass 77 AUTO
I've noticed different people using different picks for prospecting. Is there a best pick ? Different designs for different conditions? Wood handles vs. Metal? I'm gearing up. I want something stout... lightweight would be good, but durability is paramount.
Thanks in advance.
Walco picks from Australia are the ticket and have 3 different sizes and brought mine back from OZ. WALCO picks are well proven for the outback and never broke one.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using Bunk’s “Burro“ pick for a few years now and it has been the best prospecting pick I’ve ever used.

It’s the smaller version, with a 24” handle, and packs away in or on a backpack very well. Just be careful of the pointed end.

Mike

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I have been using Bunk’s “Burro“ pick for a few years now and it has been the best prospecting pick I’ve ever used.

It’s the smaller version, with a 24” handle, and packs away in or on a backpack very well. Just be careful of the pointed end.

Mike
Hey Mike,
I got one of those puppies on order. He's only going to ship the head to save shipping. Gotta find me a hickory ax handle.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I have 2 Old Picks one is 12" tip to tip and a mini of the Huge son of a gun that you should have a mule to pack it very far. , I have seen a Bunch of various styles on Ebay in Vintage rock picks and they will show up for you. good luck on the pick hunt.
Thanks Mr. Goldfinger
I went over to ebay and put a bid on a vintage rock hammer. I'm not all that fond of ebay. They charge tax on everything. Not liking that. Craigslist, no tax, no shipping. Just go pick it up.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the one from " Bunks Arizona Prospecting. All spring steel and the back has a curved scoop for pulling material away.
He has a video on his web site. The thing is way strong. You can use it for gold or relics. I really like it and it is designed better than the apex at half the price.
Not sure if he makes them but I put then in the same class as the Lesche line of tools.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I got the one from " Bunks Arizona Prospecting. All spring steel and the back has a curved scoop for pulling material away.
He has a video on his web site. The thing is way strong. You can use it for gold or relics. I really like it and it is designed better than the apex at half the price.
Not sure if he makes them but I put then in the same class as the Lesche line of tools.
Got one on order. Can't wait to try it out. Never thought I'd be saying: I can't wait to start digging. I guess it all has to do with what it is you are digging...like gold.

JWag

Greenie
Jan 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey oldkoot,
Punched in Bunks hermit pick, but when I got to the store, they were sold out. I still want one so I'm going to check back from time to time.
I got one of those Apex picks with the 36" handle. The price was great. Seen them at other places for a lot more.
Thanks for the information.
Try calling him directly. That's what I did and got a deal on shipping by buying a hermit and a burro pick together. I got just the heads and purchased a shovel handle at a big box store for the burro. The handle needed a bit of work. I cut off the pre-tapered end for the shovel head and then had to reduce the diameter of the handle slightly for the few inches it took to allow it to seat fully in the burro head. I was going to epoxy it in but when I got it on during a test fit I couldn't get it off again and so just let it be for now. I recommend both these picks.

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks in advance.
Whatever you pack in, you must pack out. I use a basic fiberglass-handled shovel and beat the hell out of it. AU for me always means alluvial, so panning & sluicing. Also, the full-length shovel means a good, sturdy support up and down ridgebacks while toting everything else. Unless you're hard rock mining a pick is un-needed extra weight. If you are dealing with soil that has lots of concretions (like the soil turned to concrete) a pick would not be a useful as some kind of portable crusher that traps the crushed material. But a pick just sends your fines flying everywhere. FWIW.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever you pack in, you must pack out. I use a basic fiberglass-handled shovel and beat the hell out of it. AU for me always means alluvial, so panning & sluicing. Also, the full-length shovel means a good, sturdy support up and down ridgebacks while toting everything else. Unless you're hard rock mining a pick is un-needed extra weight. If you are dealing with soil that has lots of concretions (like the soil turned to concrete) a pick would not be a useful as some kind of portable crusher that traps the crushed material. But a pick just sends your fines flying everywhere. FWIW.
This thread is about NUGGET shooting tools with a DETECTOR.... not about 5 gallon buckets, shovels, classifiers, sluicing. Right tool for the right job and a shovel for what we do isn't appropriate at all.... a pick is.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those small military collapsible shovels really do the trick for me....Nice hard serated blade on one side and a Pick-like at the other end.

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is about NUGGET shooting tools with a DETECTOR.... not about 5 gallon buckets, shovels, classifiers, sluicing. Right tool for the right job and a shovel for what we do isn't appropriate at all.... a pick is.
Noted.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Try calling him directly. That's what I did and got a deal on shipping by buying a hermit and a burro pick together. I got just the heads and purchased a shovel handle at a big box store for the burro. The handle needed a bit of work. I cut off the pre-tapered end for the shovel head and then had to reduce the diameter of the handle slightly for the few inches it took to allow it to seat fully in the burro head. I was going to epoxy it in but when I got it on during a test fit I couldn't get it off again and so just let it be for now. I recommend both these picks.
I found his website. I just went ahead and ordered one. I figure he'll get around to making some more. I'm in no hurry. I just got my Apex Pick today.
The thing is a monster.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I'm not discounting anything. I just ordered a Green Mountain Gold Trap. This thing works like a classifier, a sluice and a gold pan. Just throw dirt at it. It does the rest. Clean outs take 2 minutes and you don't have to move it to do it. If your interested, just punch in "Green Mountain Gold Trap" in Google search, or the same in You Tube.
Good hunting buddy.

OP
OP
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I made a really informative video about this, not sure if you've seen the video already but definitely worth checking it out.

Hello Mr. 49r,
Thanks for that video. My Apex Pick just arrived today. The thing is a beast.
I like the sound of that Mako Pick. I'm going to look into it. Have you tried the Bunk Hermit Pick? Everyone has great things to say about it. I ordered one yesterday. Would you tell me what detector you're using? I'm going after gold, but I want to know what people are using for relics and coins.
Thanks again.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Lanny,
Someone suggested that all-metal picks and metal detectors don't go hand in hand, hence the wood handles. I never thought about that aspect. Do you use yours alongside a detector?
I always have my picks along when digging out material while I'm detecting, and I always make sure they're well out of the way when I'm hunting/pinpointing targets. So, it wouldn't matter if it was a steel or wooden handle to me.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread