Coal Miner Tag?

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey HMET.....I found the same thing today. Mine has the number 122 on it, but not the letters. I'll keep an eye on this post to see if you get an answer. Let me know if you find out anything.

Good luck...........Moon

Upvote 0

mavrick03

Sep 29, 2004
Stafford Va
i think i will go with the same thing i said in the other post could be a possible livestock tag
i see a circle with a bar underneath it could mean k.i.c circle bar ranch

mav

Upvote 0

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
I collect coal mining items and I have found a few coal "tags". This certainly is the type you would see, however tool tags from any number of companies appear the same.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

HMet

Thanks for your input. Im not sure I know what a "tool tag" is....... To be sure, I havent a clue what it is. The fact that I live at the base of a huge "slag" plie that completely surrounds my backyard, and Im well within walking distance of the old breaker I just assumed it was a miner's tag. But you are right it could be somethng else. I live within a twenty minute drive in any direction of about 30 old coal mining companies and even more shafts, of course all are closed down now and most of the shafts sealed up. My town was actually a "patch" town for mine workers and slightly down the road is the Concrete City where all the mine bosses lived, all overgrown now and falling apart. Im very interested in swinging the detector there! I have researched all over for a mining company or even a vein that would have the initials K.I. Co. but to no avail and at this point there is probly no way I could find out but none the less it was a thrill hearing that clear tone and digging up something really different! Thanks for your response!!

Upvote 0

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Many factories and industrial plants etc. placed a tag on each portable tool the company owned to help keep track of their tools. Knowing that you are in the area you are, I'm sure it's most likely a coal tag. I have a book called 20,000 coal company stores that may list your coal tag. What county are you in? I'm going to Bell county Kentucky this weekend to visit the family and will certainly be detecting mining camps in search of the illusive coal company "scrip". I have been searching for one of these company good-for tokens for a while, but no luck.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions