Cochasquí: The immense pyramids of Ecuador

ian994

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I saw a post here from 4 years ago covering this topic but it's inactive so I thought I'd make a new post. :)

The Cochasqui archaeological site is 3100m above the sea level and really close to the equator. It's made of 160kg cut blocks of rock. The archaeological investigations have taken place on and off since 1932.

Model-of-the-Cochasqui-archaeological-site.jpg

The model of the Cochasqui site.

Did these structures provide any functions to anyone? Was there a forgotten civilization?

Take a look at the article I've included and I'd like to hear your opinions. :)

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Mal, we would love to see some of your pictures ! You must have something you can share with us. I enjoy reading about your travels and thoughts. :notworthy:

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Simon

Sadly there is not much in the way of ancient Cities as far as I know in Chile? I have been to Bolivia once and Peru as tourist lugging wife and kids around. Not much to tell I am afraid.

My work as Captain and owner of a cargo ship is not exciting as it sounds. I might visit many ports but rarely get the chance to visit places except the ports themselves. Most of the time is spent at sea either watching movies or reading. Or more likely paperwork. I prefer to read. I do not know each voyage to the next where I am bound for. My ship is what I think you say in English a tramp steamer.

Tramp ship owners and tramp ship charterers rely on brokers to find cargoes for their ships to carry. A broker understands international trade conditions, the movements of goods, market prices and the availability of the owner's ships. Some times these brokers screw you around and some times you get a good deal and with luck repeat work. But that is not always the case.

The voyage charter is the most common charter in tramp shipping. The owner of the tramp is obligated to provide a seaworthy ship while the charterer is obligated to provide a full load of cargo. This type of charter is the most lucrative, but can be the riskiest due to lack of new charterers.

During a voyage charter a part or all of a vessel is leased to the charterer for a voyage to a port or a set of different ports. There are two types of voyage charter – net form and gross form.

Under the net form, the cargo a tramp ship carries is loaded, discharged, and trimmed at the charterer's expense. Under the gross form the expense of cargo loading, discharging and trimming is on the owner. The charterer is only responsible to provide the cargo at a specified port and to accept it at the destination port.

Time becomes an issue in the voyage charter if the tramp ship is late in her schedule or loading or discharging are delayed. If a tramp ship is delayed the charterer pays demurrage, which is a penalty, to the ship owner. The number of days a tramp ship is chartered for is called lay days.

Some times you can get caught out.

I and My brother grew up into a family business we have two ships, my family company in July have just celebrated 200 years. It was not easy start for my Irish ancestor started a small coastal shipping business in 1818 in Valparaiso. Several times we had hardship and came very close to bankruptcy over the years. late 80's and 2008 was bad and we struggled till about 2014 with stiff competition. A lot of ship owners was deliberately sinking there ships for the insurance. We struggled through the market for tramp steamers decreased so much it fished many ship owners. So much we seem to get enough charters to tick over feeding off the crumbs of larger shipping companies.

Now that my kids have grown up my wife travels with me. She likes shopping duty free in Hong Kong. Manila, Singapore. I have been hauling copper anodes to China. Then Chinese steel to Fiji. Raw sugar from Fiji to Chile. There is no guarantees My brother helps out although he retired and his some captains my old vessel.

There is an old saying in the shipping business the great joy is day you buy a ship the next biggest is the day you sell it? If you want to burn money I am an expert :-)

However my wife jokes that I will never leave her for my fancy women on the side is my ship and she is more expensive :-)

Mal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread