Coil bolt kinda sucks

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loving the new equinox but one thing I have really had a problem with is where the coil gets attached to the shaft. That plastic bolt is a pain to switch coils. Has anyone else experienced this or do I have a bad bolt. I can't find my spare from new coil but man it's driving me nuts. I use the 11 in the water and the 15 on land because of falsing issues.

Anyone have a solution for a better bolt?

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess some pretty smart people designed it so you can adjust the angle and the coil will not flop around. All my Whites are the same. Yup, it is a pain, but any changes to make it easier will likely let your coil change angles. That would be a pain.

OP
OP
Hookka

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the issue is mine gets stuck and it feel like I need pliers or something. It's not too bad tightening it, but loosening it is where the problem is.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess the issue is mine gets stuck and it feel like I need pliers or something. It's not too bad tightening it, but loosening it is where the problem is.

I don't know what your bolt looks like, but I replaced the bolt on my F75 with a nylon bolt and wingnut. You can find them at Lowe's or Home Depot for a couple dollars. Good luck. Makes changing coils a snap.

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could always just buy another lower shaft

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hookka --

Yes, the bolts can be a bit difficult to loosen, especially when they are turned in a way that you can't get any leverage on them (perpendicular to the coil...)

I'd also like to mention that if you need another lower rod, as ripvanb suggested, I have been producing carbon-fiber lower rods for about a year now; I currently make them for the Equinox and CTX 3030. Feel free to send me a PM if you are interested, or would like some information...

THANKS!

Steve

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you could always just buy another lower shaft

I agree. I have the 6 and 15 inch coils and purchased an extra lower shaft for both for convenience and makes it quicker to change between them.HH

OP
OP
Hookka

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New lower shaft isn't a bad idea. Was hoping there was an aftermarket bolt, or a better one from another detector someone might have figured out. Thanks guys.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An extra lower shaft is the only way to go, and sgoss66 makes a nice carbon fiber one. :icon_thumleft:

RayinAlaska

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Sovereign
Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe lubricating the threads with plumber's silicone grease would help? Mine does not have that problem.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the slight "S" shape of thumb twist is not enough to give enough grip to open nut.
a better design is definitely needed

I have been stuck with using one coil at a cellar site when I wanted to change to 6"

I just keep a set of small needle nose pliers with duck taped padding, and it works like a charm

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Loving the new equinox but one thing I have really had a problem with is where the coil gets attached to the shaft. That plastic bolt is a pain to switch coils. Has anyone else experienced this or do I have a bad bolt. I can't find my spare from new coil but man it's driving me nuts. I use the 11 in the water and the 15 on land because of falsing issues.

Anyone have a solution for a better bolt?

I totally agree with Ripvanb. I purchased an additional lower shaft. Now my go to coils are the 15 x 12" and 6" and they each have their own lower shaft. Makes the change very smooth.

Here is what would be a real problem. A detector with cable connections like the AT Pro and tough coil nuts. Ugh! At least the cable connectors on the Equinox are sweet.
It does make you wonder why a great detector company like Garrett could bungle the cable connector design with out a simple guide pin and groove. What did they save $.0003 on the production of each?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread