Coil covers yes or no ?????

Indiana-FH

Oct 7, 2008
Newburgh, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max - BH 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a huge difference in the opinion of coil cover use or not to use. Just wondering what others my think. I did not use one for years but just started using one lately on my AT Max and don’t see any drop in performance so far. However some say they see a difference and don’t want to use them , just wonder what others may think.

Upvote 0

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use one on my AT MAX.
I havent seen any depreciable difference with it or without it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually use one. It saves wear and tear on the coil. I've never seen any performance issue. Occasionally, you'll want to remove it to clean out anything that might cause falsing.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually use one. It saves wear and tear on the coil. I've never seen any performance issue. Occasionally, you'll want to remove it to clean out anything that might cause falsing.

Coil covers are too big off a P.I.T.A. for me to deal with. They pick up crap and make your coil false because there is stuff caught in it. Truck bed liner sprayed on twice a year saves wear and tear on the coil without the sand and the grit in the coil cover making false signals. Once you use truck bed liner you'll never go back to a coil cover again !!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have coil covers on my machines, never had an issue at all. I pulled it off not to long ago after years of use and there was very little dust in there. I'm rough on things! My "Good" detector is zip tied together. I really believe the coil cover saved my coil from being beat up. If I take the scratched up cover off the coil looks new underneath. Same coil since the late 90's. I haven't beach hunted a lot, and don't have much experience in that. It may be different on the coils with a cover.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes.

Attachments

• lobo 007.jpg
    lobo 007.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 111

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coils are in 2 halves, a seam runs around edge where bottom meets sides, this is where a lot of coils fail with out a coil cover, it delaminates at the seam from the rubbing allowing water in. Coils have resin poured over the windings after the cable is soldered to the windings, some times a piece of the windings is not completely covered by the resin, once water hits the copper wire it quickly rusts through the thin winding. Have also seen coils where holes are wore through on the bottom into the windings as well.

Coil covers do not affect the performance as far as having one on coil as long as sand is cleaned out of coil regularly. A coil that fails because it had no coil cover can void the warranty if manufacturer want as it is considered owner abuse.

Last edited:

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I bought one with my ATPro a few years ago, but within a month or so it cracked, and would catch on grass. I mostly hunt mowed grass fields. So, I bought another one, and again it cracked after a short time. Don't know why, I am gentle with it. So now I go without.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel the protection for the coil is reason enough to use them. Never have seen proof that they have any effect on the performance and the manufacturers say they don't and they should know.
luvsdux

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
A properly fitting coil cover is essential if regularly using the detector. Properly fitting is the point. If it does not fit properly, you can pick up all kinds of small trash, decreasing the effectiveness of your detector.

If you are taking your detector out once or twice a month and only hitting tot lots and city parks, you may not benefit.

Time for more coffee.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The areas I hunt I ALWAYS will have one, too many rocks and things to chip up my coil. I don't mind spending 12 bucks and losing 1/4" in depth if it means I don't have to worry about replacing a 200 dollar coil.

I would think you would WANT to protect it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never have but I might start

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always use them, especially on water machines. A cracked coil it not a good thing in the water. Lots of rocks to bounce off of.
HH
John

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I clean my Deus about every 3rd outing. I'm kinda thinking you must use it on this machine.

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My AT Max came with one for the stock coil and the 5x8 I use most of the time, I never thought that much about it, I assumed they were included to
help protect my coils.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than the the bit of silt that may get under it and require occasional cleaning it does increase the coil weight by a tiny bit. The margin of protection that the covers provide far out weigh these insignificant negatives.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't leave home without it! As has already been said here, it's cheap insurance to protect an expensive coil. I remove the coil cover and wash the coil and cover after every hunt. It only takes about five minutes too.

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any warranty issues with using truck bedliner spray.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread