Coil Question ?

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a SEF 6x8 coil for my MXT about 2 years ago. The coils is awesome and my finds had gone up by a lot. The SEF 6x8 Coil stays on my MXT 99% of the time. A few weeks ago I went out for a hunt and my MXT was acting up ( beep when nothing is under the coil & not beeping when I put a coin under it). When I got home I put my stock coil on and the MXT worked perfect.

Question: Is it worth the time and money to send in for repair or should one just buy a new coil?

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a cover on the coil , take it off and clean the coil and cover first. Worth a try :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure coil cover is clean as suggested. Go to a different location and see if it acts up.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I have, and love the little SEF 6x8.

I had a problem with mine at 358 days from purchase. Kellyco took care of it under warranty, but I learned the Detech coils weak spot is the coil connectors.

Try jiggling them while sweeping and see if intermitent signals appear. The coil connectors are cheap to replace if that is your problem.

I just had mine on for the first time in many months... why I take it off is a mystery. Outstanding coil! I'd buy another one if mine goes down.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, if the short is at the strain relief of coil end it can't be repaired, that is a pass through point not connection point. If short is on the connector end that connects to detector that can be repaired.

OP
OP
S

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the replys. I did in fact clean out the coil cover and wiggle around the wire on both ends (no luck). I guess what I'm juggling next is would it be cheaper to send it in and have it fixed or to just buy a new one.

Garret Digger

Jun 26, 2016
Carpathian Mountain
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 150 with Karma 33x33 cm Coil and Garret MS-2 Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a similar problem with my coil that i got with My Garret, i search the problem and are 2 wires that had detach from where was paste.Worth to be send in repair for that! I am not electricity man and i dont wont to make anything bad!?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread