Coil size help please

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ignorantly, or arrogantly, ignored water detecting for several years. Then I tried it and Lordy I like it ! I have about 2-3 years now of slowly climbing the water detecting bell curve. My basic question is this: Generally, in a fresh water lake, is it best to use the largest coil you can handle for coverage ? Or is it better to use a smaller coil, say 9-11 inch circumference ? My dilemma is water resistance/drag. Don't you get a lot of drag using those monster 15+ inch coils ? Or is the coverage worth the extra work ? Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I love using a 15inch coil both fresh and salt water in the summertime...fresh drop, not looking for anything deep. The bigger the area, the faster you con move onto the next beach. Winter time in the rocks I'll go to a PI detector with an 8inch coil to get around the rocks and black sand. I've been using this plan since 1993 when I started using the WOT coil on my Sword Excalibur and my 8inch round on my Infinium. Use the correct tool for the given task.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread