Coil upgrade advice.

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an older dues, one with the 9" lf legacy coil and upgraded to the latest software. I,m thinking of saving up for a new coil. I mostly hunt parks and relics, parks more often. I'll only be able to afford 1 coil. I'm looking at the 9" X35, HF 9", and HF elliptical. Which one would work best for me. I live in south central Texas in mild soil. Thanks

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had both and kept the round 9 inch hf coil. It was dues to getting better depth and I personally did not use 72khz.

But I search in 31khz often

The elliptical can get around trees and bushes very good though.

But I am happy enough with the round HF coil.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
I just got an elliptical 6x9.
I haven't been out with it a lot, but it seems to sniff out targets in the heavy trash Very well.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t used the HF Elliptical but I can vouch for both 9" X35 and 9" HF. I only use the HF exclusively now.

I would go with the 9" HF if I were you...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How trashy are the sites? If trashy get the elliptical. If you are mainly coin shooting with average trash and soil conditions the 9" x35 should suffice and you can dial in max depth on high conductive coins by dialing frequency down as low as 4khz and with boost ransmit power that is not available on the legacy LF or dial up as high as 25 khz for jewelry and relic mid-conductors (brass, lead, gold). My personal favorite is the 9" hf round because I mainly relic hunt in hot ground and therefore stay at 28khz or above and will occasionally down to 13-14 khz for coin shooting. HTH

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally live the XP 9.5 HF coil. It separates bit better to me because of the shape of a football. Really gets in tight spots better especially when you're hunting in tall grass or weeds.

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I only have the 11"x35 and it is very good in parks and, where there is open ground, very deep on relics. I have ordered a HF elliptical for extreme iron and tight places.

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi My Fellow TH'ers
I use the 9 inch HF round coil most of the time. I also have the 11 inch standard round coil. They both do well for me so I really can't knock one over the other. My suggestion is buy one that you think will provide you with any edge over another and give it a try. Bigger is better on an open search area and smaller is better for tight search areas like around trees, large rocks, wood fences, etc. Best of luck! ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread