coil vs machine

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So long story short , I'm researching for my next MD . Unfortunately i can only afford a budget machine (6 maybe 7 hundred $$$ or less). Relic hunting is my main focus, and detecting my neighbors yards for coins when i don't have the time to travel to sites.

I have nothing bad to say about my Coinmaster GT. But the lack of coil options makes me wonder. And after too much wondering I would like some outside opinions. How much of the whole process is dictated by the separate parts ? Sure i can just buy a new coil that can see deeper but does that mean the machine is gonna register what the coil sees as well?

I guess what i'm trying to ask is, At what point is the coil limited by the functionality of the machine and vice versa?

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
In my experience the detector is the most important part of the equation. The coils come in second. What I mean is that if you have a bad detector, or a detector that is not ideal for your hunting condition, you can have all the coils you want it just won't matter. Now if you have a detector that works fine for you and the question is if it would be better to upgrade the detector or just buy some new coils, well that is different. Coils will make a big difference that is for sure. It is not the same to hunt in a trashy area with a concentric than a dd coil, the separation is much better with the dd.
For what concerns the detector it all depends, in your case the coin master GT is a good detector but there are many that are better. If you like to go relic hunting and you have the money you posted, I would personally sell the coin master and purchase a whites mxt with two or three coils at least, D2, is the number one on the mxt, then a smaller one like the 4x6 or the 5.3 would be ideal for trashy areas. If detecting on open field than maybe a big 12 inch sef would work.
Now that is my personal opinion, others might disagree.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So long story short , I'm researching for my next MD . Unfortunately i can only afford a budget machine (6 maybe 7 hundred $$$ or less). Relic hunting is my main focus, and detecting my neighbors yards for coins when i don't have the time to travel to sites.

I have nothing bad to say about my Coinmaster GT. But the lack of coil options makes me wonder. And after too much wondering I would like some outside opinions. How much of the whole process is dictated by the separate parts ? Sure i can just buy a new coil that can see deeper but does that mean the machine is gonna register what the coil sees as well?

I guess what i'm trying to ask is, At what point is the coil limited by the functionality of the machine and vice versa?

If you have not read this article, it should answer a lot of your questions..
Truth About Search Coils

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread