Coil you most use for the CTS3030

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am in the process of purchasing a CTX3030. I have a Vanquish 440 and Nox 800. Will be selling the nox 800. Not really pleased with the target identification abilities of the 800. I am older and digging so many signals only to end up with a high ratio of trash to good targets is very tiresome.

I am wondering what would be your "go to" coil for civil war relic hunting and park ring and coin hunting. I am considering adding the Coiltek 10 x 5" for the CTX3030 to give me even better separation abilities while still giving me decent coil area coverage.

I hunt in an urban environment both for civil war relics and parks. Lots of modern trash. These urban trashy parks and civil war relic areas are a real challenge for the Nox 800.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I used the stock coil 99% of the time and it has served me well. All artifacts from the Second Seminole War shown at the link below were found with the CTX stock coil.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the CTX club! You will use your stock coil in most of your trashy urban areas in Atlanta. If you hunt VERY trashy places, I would recommend one of the smaller coils, either the Minelab 6" or the Coiltek 10x5. I had both, and kept the Coiltek because it "fits" my detecting style better than the hockey puck.

In areas with moderate to no trash, I use the big-'ole Minelab 17" monster AND I use a swinging harness. No matter what your age/health level is, if you are going to swing the 17" you must have a harness. I got the CTX in 2012 when I was 30 and in the best health of my life. I hunted Civil War camps with the 17" for hours, and developed a whole host of orthopedic problems in my dominant arm within a few years. The harness has saved my arm.

If you do get a 17", please start with it in low trash to help you learn to pinpoint with it. It took me several months. Learn the Minelab FBS "wiggle-back" technique because it helps a lot with the 17" coil. I had a buddy who got frustrated with his 17" due to the pinpointing being off, and he was too impatient to stick to low-trash fields before figuring it out.

This is a great machine, and you will not regret the switch.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The stock 11" is a GREAT place to start!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread