Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends, just wanted to say I'll be heading down to the Indian River Inlet (Coin Beach) on September 12 thru the 15th, on my way down to Ocean City for the annual Bike Week.

Haven't seen any recent posts on Coin Beach, was kinda wondering if there has been anything found lately, and update on conditions would be great.

Looking forward to doing some detecting down there, and hope to meet up with someone........Thanks, Rich​

Upvote 0

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill be down there the 13th through the 22nd. I like bike week and sunfest in OC. Never did any MDing down there. Where is coin beach in the inlet?

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill be down there the 13th through the 22nd. I like bike week and sunfest in OC. Never did any MDing down there. Where is coin beach in the inlet?

Coin Beach is the strip of beach located between the Old Historic Coast Guard station going south about a mile to the Inlet.

I will definitely be at Coin Beach on Friday the 13th (WHOA!, just realized the date, maybe thats an omen and be my lucky day). I may come earlier on Thursday the 12th, but I'm still undecided.

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah unfortunately, I only know where the coast guard station is under the bridge, in the inlet. But it sounds like where I see a lot of trucks surf fishing just north of the inlet bridge when your driving north towards dewy.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get anything? I haven't been since march.

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get anything? I haven't been since march.

Well.................NO, was really disappointed, not about finding anything, but the way the whole area looks now. First off, only a fraction of the beach was open. The other 80% was off limits (fenced) due to reconstructing the beach with dozers and a dredging operation. The whole "Coin Beach" area is not the way it was as I remember it. Really bummed me out. Better off to go somewhere else nearby where the beach hasn't been altered ...................Rich

Jim_W

Greenie
Aug 21, 2013
Lewes De
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI dual field
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wait a few months after a noreaster the beaches are really sanded in right now. The best places in the area now are the swimming beaches for recent drops. They will be replenishing most of the Delaware beaches this fall so things will suck till we have a few storms.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally went yesterday. Maxed out on Fishing last week and the water was too rough for the boat. The Corpse (har har) of Engineers has added about 15' to 20' of sand on top of the beach from the inlet to about 100 yards north of the bridge, back to Henlopen, it is in 2 tiers and goes all the way to the water. They are still there pumping more sand. The "old stuff" theoretically is 15 feet or so under this sand. You have to walk down Delaware 1 to get around them, they have this cute orange fence in place. They won't let you go down the water's edge. However a new cut has already started at the inlet. It took out 10' of their beloved sand. Got several pounds of sinkers and a wheatie and trash. Went 1/2 mile north and found a broken colonial button and 2 tiny pieces of ships plating. Took 6 hours so definitely not a knock 'em dead trip. One bad storm, however, and it's all gone. Just sand.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on the Corpse of Engineers. The Lord in His wisdom has taken out maybe 40' of the sand they put on the beach, measuring from the water's edge back into the dunes, and has taken in down at least 5' in places in height. There's a nice trench there, but it's already started to fill in. I didn't find anything this last time out but a quarter, penny and dime, all new of course. They are pumping sand right at the inlet again, though. They probably lost 1/3 of what they put in, though. It's a tough place to detect.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave up on coin beach years ago

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some stuff came up out of the inlet, when they dumped BUCKETS of sinkers, etc. Some relics and coins were found. Right now it's horrible.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with 47...

Was there a few weeks ago and got a few coins and a Silver ring, my second trip ever. The first trip I got a King George Love token. I will never go back until it gets tore up bad,... just to much Gold South and in the Bay to hunt for coppers..n relic's.

shipwreck coin[1].jpg
OBN0376.jpg
OBN0347 (2).jpg

deldave

Jul 9, 2013
coastal Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 250, pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto, dredged material yields way too much lead and debris. Spend many an hour there this past fall and wasn't happy at all. Old coins have been on my list for a long time ( and still remain). NE storms are our only hope!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions