Coin Folders

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
COIN FOLDERS
I have a few silver coins I have been saving for a few years, and had placed them in
an old set of blue colored coin folders.
I haven't thought much about them for the past six years or so, and when I pulled them out
to inspect and list them, I found they had absorbed dyes or chemicals from the Folders, turning
them dark around the rim where they fit the and back and face where they made contact with the folder.
I don't know if the new folders they make today are safe to store coins in or not, but it's for
sure if you have the old ones, the dark blue coin folders you may be using to store your coins, You need to get rid of them and find a safer way to store them. I even had a few silver dimes I wrapped in soft tissue paper in a white envelope and they had discolored, like the light golden color of heated oil of a frying pan.
Does anyone out there know if there's a safer way to store coins for longer periods of time that will prevent them from discoloring??? ???
Thanks.
SS

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
They have specially made plastic coin holders for single coins, or 2x2 cardboard staple flips. Also they have airtite plastic capsules.

OP
OP
StickShift

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
Thanks Jake, Which ones do you think would protect coins best for a number of years ?
Thanks
SS

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Probably the aritite ones, i think they sell some inder the brand kointain or something. But you can get them at a coin store.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you sure that the coins are not just toning?
Toning usually occurs at the outside edge of the coin first.
Dont clean them!

OP
OP
StickShift

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
Hey bk
Some of the halves had some what of a tone and stains, but the dimes had a dark black silver sulfide coating across the back and around the inside of the rim. The only silver spot on them was right in the middle.
Do you think of the hot water and baking powder soak with tin foil in the bottom of pan will clean them without harming?
SS

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Stickshift,
I wouldn't do anything with them. If there is toning on them that is good.
Any chance you could post a pic?

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Any time silver comes in contact with sulphur it will tarnish. The sulphur comes from the wood pulp. It really doesn't harm a dug coin but you should not wrap silver in tissue paper as it is also made from wood pulp. The actual sulphur compound you are dealing with there is sulphuric acid from the decaying paper. That is one reason why silver coins found in fresh water are black. exanimo, ss

OP
OP
StickShift

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
Thank you examino ss for the good advice, it makes real good sense, and I will always be thankful for the good advice that we all can share together. I am learning and
am very grateful for the help you and all our family of ther's, cheerfully share with one another.
May you and all our family of ther's hunting pouchs always be filled with goodies. :) ;D
Have a wonderful holiday.
stick shift.
SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread