Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Most likely. I pretty much do bags only now.

Odds are much better than boxes generally.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thinking about going this route as well. No rolls to unwrap and all those CWR that go to banks go into the sorters. If I buy the bags from the banks, I buy the contents of CWR.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
From coin machines in grocery machines? And go how many u find per bag usually?

No, no grocery stores have coin counters here. Banks do and I buy them from banks.

When it comes to dimes my average is about 3 silvers per $500

This is greater than my average of 1 silver per $250 box

OP
OP
H

HavokSouls

Dec 1, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, no grocery stores have coin counters here. Banks do and I buy them from banks.

When it comes to dimes my average is about 3 silvers per $500

This is greater than my average of 1 silver per $250 box

Good I love the silver dimes especially mercs

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally would buy the bag and see what happens.

But, there are potential problems. First, some coin counters reject silver. Second, most coin machines are not 100% accurate, and I've seen a few that were down right horrible. Your $1000 bag of dimes might only have $950 and no silver in it. Then again, it might have $1050 and lots of silver.

Infector101

Mar 20, 2012
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would buy the bags. That's what I do and it works out great. The averages are much higher than boxes in my experience. Where I get my bags from I offer to roll the coins for them if they want it done or make sure that the bags contain the correct amount of change (anything to keep the bags coming and keep them happy). Sometimes the dime bags are a little short where I get them (on average about $1), but if you get the pennies from the same bank you'll find your missing dimes. Good luck and HH.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just to clarify, the supermarkets have their own coin counting/sorting machines, or are you referring to the coinstar (or like variety) machines in the lobby of many markets?

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin machine bags as the Wild West of CRHing. The bag might be really short, or way over, full of foreign coins, full of silver, bandaids, fingernails, etc. You have to have a thick skin and take the good with the bad. Many banks are unwilling to sell bags, but I alway preface that I WILL NOT bring the coin back to them and I WILL NOT complain if the bag is short. Usually that loosens them up a bit. As I have mentioned in the past, I have onnoccasion been burned on short bags, but I have also found literally pounds of silver in individual bags. Good luck!

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I was able to buy bags from a bank for about a year and had good luck. I did get shorted once by $60 but with the amount of silver I found I still came out ahead.

The exciting thing about bags is the potential for someone to have dumped a collection in there and having it all to yourself rather than the bag being sent back, mixed with millions of other coins and sent back out in boxes.

My son and I had one of those bags but unfortunately it was with nickels and not halves, quarters or dimes. We found over 500 buffalo, 5 V nickels and 50 war nickels. You can see the post with pics by searching coin_surfer posts.

I would still buy bags but they changed their policy and no longer sell them. My advice is to go for it. I think the possibility of a huge score outweighs the risk of a short bag.

Good luck

MU

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread