🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow is all I can think of to start this post, just wow! Got out on an evening permission at a 1870s house north of me. The woman told me it's been hit before but I was welcome to give it a go. Finds started out slow and it was obvious it was picked over pretty well but I kept pushing. My first keeper was the 1865 2 center! Pretty rough shape but I'll take it! Found one wheat and then the mercury that I kissed with my shovel. Went along the side of the house and hit the silver Washington! I was pretty happy with the finds at that point and was considering leaving because it was getting late. What happened next was absolutely amazing! Came across a strange signal, it was really scratchy with high and mid tones and it sounded a little large but I figured why not, let's dig it. First popped out an Indian and a piece of leather with 2 coin impressions on it and I was like OMG!!! I knew I had some sort of either change bag, or change purse. I kept plucking v nickel after v nickel, then a barber dime, and some wheats, then a 1900 silver Canadian quarter, and another barber and more Indians and wheats. All in all there was 6 v nickels, 4 Indians, 4 wheats, 2 barber dimes and the Canadian silver quarter! Nothing older than 1900 but by far the most fun I have ever had detecting!! I'm on cloud nine with this hunt!! Thanks for looking and reading the long winded post and happy hunting!

Attachments

• 20220814_191141.jpg
    20220814_191141.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,195
  • 20220814_192807.jpg
    20220814_192807.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 899
  • 20220814_192833.jpg
    20220814_192833.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 995
  • 20220814_211247.jpg
    20220814_211247.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 958
  • 20220814_211538.jpg
    20220814_211538.jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 940
  • 20220814_211359.jpg
    20220814_211359.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 788
  • 20220814_211724.jpg
    20220814_211724.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 889
Upvote 0

SweatyPotato47

Jul 19, 2022
Wow is all I can think of to start this post, just wow! Got out on an evening permission at a 1870s house north of me. The woman told me it's been hit before but I was welcome to give it a go. Finds started out slow and it was obvious it was picked over pretty well but I kept pushing. My first keeper was the 1865 2 center! Pretty rough shape but I'll take it! Found one wheat and then the mercury that I kissed with my shovel. Went along the side of the house and hit the silver Washington! I was pretty happy with the finds at that point and was considering leaving because it was getting late. What happened next was absolutely amazing! Came across a strange signal, it was really scratchy with high and mid tones and it sounded a little large but I figured why not, let's dig it. First popped out an Indian and a piece of leather with 2 coin impressions on it and I was like OMG!!! I knew I had some sort of either change bag, or change purse. I kept plucking v nickel after v nickel, then a barber dime, and some wheats, then a 1900 silver Canadian quarter, and another barber and more Indians and wheats. All in all there was 6 v nickels, 4 Indians, 4 wheats, 2 barber dimes and the Canadian silver quarter! Nothing older than 1900 but by far the most fun I have ever had detecting!! I'm on cloud nine with this hunt!! Thanks for looking and reading the long winded post and happy hunting!

Wow is all I can think of to start this post, just wow! Got out on an evening permission at a 1870s house north of me. The woman told me it's been hit before but I was welcome to give it a go. Finds started out slow and it was obvious it was picked over pretty well but I kept pushing. My first keeper was the 1865 2 center! Pretty rough shape but I'll take it! Found one wheat and then the mercury that I kissed with my shovel. Went along the side of the house and hit the silver Washington! I was pretty happy with the finds at that point and was considering leaving because it was getting late. What happened next was absolutely amazing! Came across a strange signal, it was really scratchy with high and mid tones and it sounded a little large but I figured why not, let's dig it. First popped out an Indian and a piece of leather with 2 coin impressions on it and I was like OMG!!! I knew I had some sort of either change bag, or change purse. I kept plucking v nickel after v nickel, then a barber dime, and some wheats, then a 1900 silver Canadian quarter, and another barber and more Indians and wheats. All in all there was 6 v nickels, 4 Indians, 4 wheats, 2 barber dimes and the Canadian silver quarter! Nothing older than 1900 but by far the most fun I have ever had detecting!! I'm on cloud nine with this hunt!! Thanks for looking and reading the long winded post

That's incredible! It's what every treasure hunter dreams of!

Bill Farmer

Greenie
Dec 28, 2014
outside of Chicago
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
QUESTIONS: I'm just curious. Since the site had been hit before, where in relation to the house, did you find the coin purse? Also, how deep was it buried?

Mike in NM

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2018
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not long winded at all. The story kept my attention as the suspense built up and then ended with pictures we all anticipated. Thanks for sharing your exciting story with us. I’d love to find coins older than my typical wheaties.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUESTIONS: I'm just curious. Since the site had been hit before, where in relation to the house, did you find the coin purse? Also, how deep was it buried?
This is am Ariel view of the house, I found the spill near the tree I marked with the red dot. Such a strange, large jumpy signal that now makes sense

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220818-180246_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220818-180246_Maps.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not long winded at all. The story kept my attention as the suspense built up and then ended with pictures we all anticipated. Thanks for sharing your exciting story with us. I’d love to find coins older than my typical wheaties.
Thanks! I still can't believe it days later!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks alot!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really surprised your find hasn't made the BANNER yet. :icon_scratch:
So far this thread has had 2K+ views, 95 replies and 84 votes.

What we need here is for Cru to respond to your thread, that will definitely help get it bumped up top. :thumbsup:

View attachment 2042050
Thanks alot, I appreciate it!

Allen Jackson

Apr 21, 2019
Bristol, TN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 , Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW is right!!!!
I'm still looking for my first *old* coin spill the closest thing to an old spill is 4 IH Penny's. Very nice finds!!

MD Ghost F75

Mar 27, 2022
Harford County, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve dug old change purse clasps at sites on three occasions. Each time a take a few seconds and think about what could have been in the purse before rechecking the hole. So far, 0 for 3. Awesome find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread