Coin shops closing

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by LCS this afternoon and they had a sign in the window saying by appointment only due to the pandemic. Silver prices are diving so it’s a good time to buy but I assume any silver stacker knows that and are clearing out the coin shops. Anyone else seeing this in their town?

Upvote 0

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I expected to see my LCS closed, as the owner has heart issues (compromised immune system) and his elderly mother runs the store when he’s not there, but they were open and business was booming. The virus still isn’t being taken very seriously by many in my part of the country, and I guess business is too good for him to pass up.

OP
OP
Dannycoco

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to call and make an appointment. Left a message. They haven’t responded yet.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess I need to visit my LCS....I've been buying silver online. Much as I *****hhh about e-commerce I should have thought about this before. Thanks for the wake up call.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems strange that with demand SO high recently the price remains low.
Doesn't make any sense.
Mail order bullion companies are having a hard time keeping up and adding personnel to take care of the extra orders.

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My LCS is open for business and actually has quite a selection of silver bullion. He always has trouble keeping constitutional (junk) silver in... mostly because of me lol. But he ain't hurting. He's a young healthy feller (owner's grandson) and I dont see him shutting down any time soon lol. Too bad I need another gun more than I need more silver right now. Got lots of money tied up in silver and gold, but I'm doing everything I can to get some extra cash to BUY some silver asap. I'll be watching this thread, I was wondering what would happen to the local coin shops etc. Not just the big guys. Stay safe everybody!

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$12.70 @9:15 here.(3/16)
As the price keeps dropping, I see most places selling it have stopped lowering their prices to reflect it.
Check out ebay prices for example.. or the big on line bullion sellers.
This is nutz.

OP
OP
Dannycoco

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought some fairly cheap silver today. Spot plus $6 for ASE and spot plus $3 for generic rounds. May have to pick up more if the price keeps dropping.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems strange that with demand SO high recently the price remains low.
Doesn't make any sense.
Mail order bullion companies are having a hard time keeping up and adding personnel to take care of the extra orders.
It’s the low paper price you’re seeing. The physical price is still up there.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a kink in the supply chain-- only takes 1 part to be short supply to = no need for the rest

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Bought some fairly cheap silver today. Spot plus $6 for ASE and spot plus $3 for generic rounds. May have to pick up more if the price keeps dropping.
Price is dropping? You paid more than what you could buy for a month ago.

OP
OP
Dannycoco

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spot was $17- $18 a month ago plus whatever the shop charges . Now it’s $12. How would I have paid more?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spot was $17- $18 a month ago plus whatever the shop charges . Now it’s $12. How would I have paid more?

Go take a look at what a $10 roll of quarters is from APMEX.

Going by Coinflation, it should cost about $92 in melt. They're going for over $200 right now.

People are panic buying. The price of silver is low, but there's limited supply available, so the actual price people are paying for physical coins is high.

I'm actually tempted to buy some silver ETFs right now because I know it's not going anywhere but up.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Yeah, always thought the paper market is a sham that looks to take regular people out of their money. It's run by big money computer algorithms. Who knows how low those big banks will try to take the price of paper silver. Always look to buy physical. Buy if physical silver is low. I would laugh if someone bought options and actually demanded delivery. In times like these, people will hoard. It's instinctive behavior.

OP
OP
Dannycoco

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only bought rounds and bars in the last week. No junk . I know they are charging more per ounce but I still only paid $15.15 a ounce after their markup. Silver will eventually go back to $18 so I won’t lose any money.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have only bought rounds and bars in the last week. No junk . I know they are charging more per ounce but I still only paid $15.15 a ounce after their markup. Silver will eventually go back to $18 so I won’t lose any money.
Then what I wrote was wrong. Good deal.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup what a weird world. Here the prices dropped but there was no metal left to buy. I turned a friend onto some platinum too far up the road for me and he scooped the last of it like a bandit at $630 but the markup was terrible. Still an oz of platinum for $730!!! He bought the place out. I couldn't find anything to buy so I am twiddling my thumbs. The markup is ridiculous on most online sites and anyone half honest is sold out or laying low. Oh well hoping you all stacked enough away. In four months when we see the price at $30 oz ag I'll sell what I have. Then I'll be sad when it hits $50 I only have lead left. Thats if the lead doesn't need to get used first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread