Coinmaster 6000/D, Series 2 Comparison w. Garrett AT-Gold

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got back into metal detecting after I retired a couple of years ago. I used to run a Compass induction balance detector (model 71B Yukon?) back in 1976 and found a lot of coins etc. I now have a Garrett AT-Gold since I live in gold country and like hiking. A friend who has many different old detectors from garage sales loaned me a Whites Coinmaster 6000/D series 2 and a Fisher VLF 555-D/B. The AT-Gold is pretty amazing compared to my 1975 experience. I was curious how the AT would compare against a top of the line from 1980s like the 6000/D. The AT is much lighter, faster response, more sensitive and appears to have more depth. The AT cannot discriminate .22 rifle casings at all while the 6000 can completely eliminate them. This is a big deal since I am searching in remote areas that are littered with 100s of casings. It looks like a nickel will be lost at the discrimination settings for iron and .22 casings. I think the 6000 would be a better coin machine than the AT, but I don't have much coin experience with the AT. The AT is far more sensitive to very small objects. The Fisher VLF 555-D/B seems to about 75% of the sensitivity compared to the 6000. The electronics may have aged-out to the point performance is degraded. Discrimination operation in the Fisher was difficult while the 6000 was simple. I think the 6000D is still an effective detector for coins and relics.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The 6000 series 2 and 3 were/still are good coin shooters because they give TID in the Ground balance All metal mode although you may need a slightly fast sweep and good target signal strength to activate the TID display with the Whites.

I still have my Series 3 and 555D. I prefere the Whites.
The 555D has a good GB All metal mode but no TID in that mode . The disc mode is normal TR disc mode with no Ground balance and can be tricky to use in mineralised ground. This detector can reverse discriminate if you take the time to learn how to do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread