South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg

Living in southern CA is great for the metal head. We have lots of sunny days in which spend hours walking parks and beaches. The only problem we have in this area is finding sites which are older than 50 to 100 years old. So when hunting for old coins we just don't have that many choices and most of those sites have been hunted already.
Although we still have some fun and unusual coins to be found. Above are just a few of the coins that the Outlaw has pulled out of the ground in the past few months. The Outlaw really likes coins.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely some great coins there! Glad to hear you are liking the Outlaw. How do you like it compared to the Vaq?

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want coins then the Outlaw is the machine you want. Both will hunt and hunt well but the Outlaw will disc out a little higher than the Vaq and allow you to get ONLY quarters. The Outlaw is a deep machine but the Vaq may have a silght edge. The Outlaw will see quarters as deep as 7 to 8 inches with the 8" concentric IF the soil is right. The Outlaw seems to be a little chatty in high min soil where the Vaq seems soild. If you pinned me down and asked me to pick just one, then I would pick the Outlaw. Its a more all around machine and I like the way you can really nock out those stinking zinclons. Also the Outlaw doesn't quack! It has a really nice tone to it. EITHER machine is great and WILL give ANYONE loads of fun and treasure. The Tesoro's have VERY fast recovery and DISC, today I pulled a quarter at about 6" that was under a rusty 3" nail. My wife and pulled 29 quarters out of a school today. Happy Hunting image.jpg

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Outlaw... it's great for coins.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can find any old maps that show the old Butterfield stage routes you can probably find some old coins, the deserts down there have a lot of history and the mountains of San Diego county have old history also that is where I grew up a house I grew up in was part of the stage route.

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg Ok I was wrong, my wife and I recently visit a very old school in our area. We dug lots of coins. In one hole I found two quarters stacked on top of each other like pancakes and appeared to be smeared with what looked like concrete. Once at home I tried to remove the smudge only to realize it was not a smudge? Upon closer examination I could see the number 4 just after the 19 , what? 194? It was a 1942 silver!!!!! Wow!!!! After looking at the other quarter i could see the 1937!!! Wow two silver quarters in the same hole!!!!! So yes there sites in South Orange co. that can still yield some old coins.
Both coins were located by the Outlaw and were about 5" to 6" deep.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
love it when I find several coins stacked in one hole.
luvsdux

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice coins all around Hobojoe! Thanks for the photos too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions