Coinstar question

OP
OP
fiatboy

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
One of us needs to get a job with either Coinstar, a bank, Brinks, or the U.S. Mint. Too many unanswered questions in the world of coin hunting.

coinstarguy

Jun 6, 2007
I can tell you a little about the process:
Coins are delivered to Brinks or another coin processor, then they are sorted and rolled and redelivered to local businesses.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Thank Coinstar guy. It is interesting.

Welcome to Treasurenet. Glad to have you here.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called Coinstar about 5-6 weeks back inquiring about buying coins from these machines just out of curiosity.....I was told they do sell them to the general public.

Oh well....bank and boxes.....

Welcome aboard CSG...thanks for the info.

Wes_

Apr 22, 2007
I thought I read on here that coinstar rejects silver coins. If that's true, wouldn't buying from coinstar be the last thing a CRHer would want to do?

OP
OP
fiatboy

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I thought I read on here that coinstar rejects silver coins. If that's true, wouldn't buying from coinstar be the last thing a CRHer would want to do?

I've heard that, too. But I've also heard the opposite. Perhaps it depends upon how the machine is calibrated, or maybe it differs depending upon the denomination? Anyone care to throw a rosie or a silver half into a coinstar machine to find out? Very good point, though.

coinstarguy

Jun 6, 2007
Wes_ said:

True and false! What generally happens is this. Silver dimes, if re-fed several times will be accepted, silver quarters and halves, will reject every time.

Purchasing a bin of coin is possible, but you are talking about 510 lbs of coin with a face value that will vary from around $2500 to over $5500. You can find some good coin in a bin, all nickels will be accepted, you can find uncirculated early coins. Wheat pennies are like silver dimes, will accept after a few tries. Sometimes you will even find proof coins!

I can tell you that some coin collections are stolen and run through Coinstar machines, and no one ever knows!

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fiatboy said:
I was told they do sell them to the general public.

They do? Good to know!!!!!! I'll have to give them a call.

FB.....no they do not.....I am sorry....I left the word NOT out in my post...lol. Sorry about that, but the lady I spoke to said they do not sell to the general public.

coinstarguy

Jun 6, 2007
lejeuene said:
fiatboy said:
I was told they do sell them to the general public.

They do? Good to know!!!!!! I'll have to give them a call.

FB.....no they do not.....I am sorry....I left the word NOT out in my post...lol. Sorry about that, but the lady I spoke to said they do not sell to the general public.

Well, it IS possible, but generally only if you have had a coin collection stolen, and believe it was run through a certain machine. Most people, when confronted with the enormity of the project, decide that it is too much work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions