Cold day at an old Cavalry site yields an old piece of GOLD!!!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today for some much needed time away from civilization. After a long weekend of work my hunting buddy and I set out. Of course it didn't matter to me where we went so we went to an area where some nice finds have come from in the past. Old seated dimes and lots of cavalry buttons and such. The fort sits along one of our many wagon trails we didn't really expect much except maybe a button or two since we have hit this place hard. With our new DEUS settings we managed lots of Henry Casings, bullets, one OX shoe and the normal garbage of an old stage stop.

After 3 hours, cold wind and nothing to show for our effort; we decided to start walking back to the rig and go to another spot......"walk back to the rig?" How many times has this happened to us. My buddy was walking on one side of the old rock corral area and I the other which was next to the old wagon road. I thought, well, if parked a wagon and jumped off, where would I land? Both of us use the Deus and shotgun shells in the area hit most of the time around 72-78. Of course digging "EVERYTHING", I get the nice lower tone 71. I take out a round dirt clump and begin smashing it over my coil thinking for sure it was a shotgun shell :BangHead:. Except the clump was getting smaller and small until the flash of gold fell onto my coil. I throw off the headphones and yell at my friend "GOLD". I hadn't looked to see what it was till he made it over.

After some foul language and laughing, along with a little water we see it. A beautiful 1865-S 2 1/2 Dollar piece :hello2:. We were both amazed but not surprised since this was the second gold coin from the fort area. For sure we have walked over it before, not wanting to dig shells. But now digging ALL TARGETS has really paid off. A few feet away I was able to find my target for the day, a single cavalry button with no markings on the back.........

Of course I called my son who is at college and he refused to believe me until we sent a couple of pictures. He called me a few names and told my buddy to hit me over the head! :laughing7: He will be back this weekend since we have a Nevada trip planned for more digging:icon_thumleft:

Its been awhile we haven't posted but I haven't wanted to bore everyone with the 100's of wheat pennies we have dug over the past few months so today was great. Thanks for looking and remember; DIG EVERYTHING!!!!!

Attachments

• LOOKING-N-AT-MARKER-N-21-.jpg
    LOOKING-N-AT-MARKER-N-21-.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 321
  • Bull Flat Gold1.jpg
    Bull Flat Gold1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 314
  • BF2.jpg
    BF2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 287
  • BF3.jpg
    BF3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 312
  • BF4.jpg
    BF4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 324
  • BF5.jpg
    BF5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 261
  • BF6.jpg
    BF6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 294
Upvote 87

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Just...WOW!!!!!!! 😱

🙌🙌🙌

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT is a beauty and a banner worthy find. Congrats! Wow!

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
super find , i would vote banner but the last gold coin I voted on (french) didn't make it on so i won't jinx your find by voting on it..but it sure belongs up there

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is just so cool, congratulations and a big BANNER vote from me

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great gold oh my.. Got my banner vote

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'' But now digging ALL TARGETS has really paid off.''

This is what I've been talking about on another post. Its so important on a good site to clear every signal no matter how bad, it takes years but its a must if you want to be sure.

CONGRATS on a nice looker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions