onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read somewhere someone said "Every one should go to College" Are you better off learning about why bubbles burst, or learning how to fix plumbing or Electrical etc.?

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to college and getting a degree is like getting a High School Diploma when I was growing up. Everyone needs a degree and then a trade to survive.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is a coin toss for me depending on what field/career you want to follow and what requirements are needed.

you want to be a Dr.? then you have to take the mandatory courses.

you want to be an art major? you need courses but unless your last name is Picasso good chance you best have welding/or a nursing career or something like that to fall back on to make some money....unless you are a lucky one to move forward in the art world. which is doubtful for most :laughing9:

your chosen career path determines how you progress in your education mostly.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
Learn a trade to keep on earning/eating . Use your spare time to keep on learning .

This is a pretty realistically response here. Hvac, plumbing, electrical, etc... will be around for a long time...well maybe not too much electrical now that they figured out how to make electricity wireless....

But continuing education I think is important, if not for self improvement then perhaps to improve your ability at a hobby. Automotive courses for the car nuts, maybe geology, anthropology, archaeology, history, physics, chemistry, engineering, geography, mineralogy, etc.. for the treasure hunting type...holy crud you need a four year university to metal detect?

Seriously though, have any trade/tech schools near you, or willing to travel to attend one? That might be the way to go to get straight into a career, sad part is they are expensive, and student loans add up even with the shorter courses. Some grants, and aid out there though.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I think trade schools are the way to. It may be harder to get "rich", but tou won't have to pay an arm and a leg to have someone come to your house and fix things.

As far as the wireless electricity, Tesla had that figured out 100 years ago, and George Westinghouse had the pull to stop it from happening.

Bill

lumusislight

Greenie
Aug 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Originally Posted by whoknowswhy
Do I have to pursue a degree in archeology to become a professional treasure hunter? What do you think guys? Why do I need it anyway?
Or should I just go with the trade school where my brother studied too,
do my essay projects' application and choose a vocational training course in summer?
Trade schools are cheaper than colleges. And it's one more benefit. I'm on a tight bughet, cause my parents spent everything on my brother's education.

Hi there, I got my bachelor's at Smith College and I'm proud of it. Actually, a degree doesn't help you much in treasure hunting, but it can give you at least some chances to find a good job and/or internship where you can practice your skills: for example, I was lucky to do research under the guidance of Bosiljka Glumac (Professor of Geosciences) and we had an opportunity to go abroad and try out our methods there (it was a trip to Croatia).

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The whole idea of getting a degree is to increase your value to others. A degree that doesn't accomplish that is not worth the money, or effort, unless it's just something you want to do. The situation is even worse if you have to borrow the money to pay for the degree. What you're actually doing is borrowing the money to increase the value of your personal capital. If what you accomplish doesn't increase your value (what you offer) to your fellow citizens, you've wasted the money. In reality, your lifelong earning power is determined more by your intelligence than by the degrees you hold, unless you want to work for the government.
Jim

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
2 year Associate Degree in a "Trade" from a community college is best for most ppl, I think. Pretty much start right away in your "field". :hello2:

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I chose a trade and became a carpenter. Mostly I worked commercial buildings like hotels and condominiums. Then I found out exactly how the union and politics mixed at the time. I exited the union, but still worked As a carpenter.

These days you got kids in school with enormous college loans, because like you reiterated- "everyone needs to go to college". But you don't need to go to college when it costs you more than taking a loan out on a house. That's not for me anyways. You got college graduates that are essentially indentured servants. They can't even declare bankruptcy when their degree in lesbian dance theory results in 0% chance of employment in their chosen field. These are the kinds you see working at Subway and Burgerking. They could be working to pay off a house, but instead they live with their parents paying the price of a house for a worthless peice of paper called a degree. Your mileage may vary.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Follow your passion and you'll never work. Going and getting a degree won't serve you well w/o purpose. Too many students are too young or unconscious to know. Too many people in the trades don't belong because they have no aptitude for the work.
So that means a plan. A person can connect their conscious mind with the idea of discovery. I wish I had just to be curious.
Most people spend more time planning a 2 week vacation than their life. Maybe out of not wanting to guess what might happen. Next time around I'm going to make a plan.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My son chose a tech trade school over college.
Within ten years of his graduation he was making more in one year than I ever did in my career; even with my BS and MBA.
But there are many things that can be learned in a college that cannot be learned in a tech school; and I'm not referring to just the academics.
Don......

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
If you do something for the money you might be selling out. Thing is money is just a way of keeping score for some. I owned an Hvac contracting business before retiring. Many of the trades people don't belong there. Many just fell into the job. Many have little mechanical aptitude.
When I joined the military I was tested for aptitude. Four categories. Mechanical, administration, general that included many things that could be learned in a day, and I can't remember the last name but it included electronics. I would recommend getting tested to find where your strengths are so you don't end up doing a job your no good at or just average.
Some parents tell the kid they want them to be a CPA even though the kid can't do math.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a BS in Business Admin.....

My drafting diploma made my career, the BS was just bs......

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the question you have to ask yourself after high school is where do I wan't to be in 5 years. Looking for a job I have no experience for saddled with dept. I have had many employees over the years living from paycheck to paycheck because college loans were killing them. I have ask many people over the years how much there collage cost them. Not one of them factored in the fact that they were out of the work force for 4 to 6 years and still had no experience. I can tell you that a clean driving record, DRUG free and the ability to come to work on time is worh more than that college degree!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread