mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found an interesting brass tool at a colonial site. Appears part of it folded up inside the compartment, maybe had a top on it. Could have been a pick of some sort, haven't seen anything like it before.
IMG_8518.jpg
IMG_8517.jpg
IMG_8516.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8516.jpg
    IMG_8516.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 11
OP
OP
mbcuce

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting.

Looks like it may be the broken end part from a candle-snuffer/wick-trimmer. Lots of different configurations, but this kind of thing:

View attachment 2075799
Very nice, that looks like it. Couldnt tell if the handle was broken or not but I think that is it. Thank you!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snuffs out the candle, then you can trim and shape the wick with the built in scissor action. These devices were used in colonial times all the way to the dawn of electricity. But get this, the self-trimming candle, like the ones we have now where the wick curls over itself, was invented in 1825. I'm not sure how quickly it was adopted internationally, but this would have made the device you found superfluous. Cheaper and simpler candle snuffers would likely have become more common than the snuffer/trimmer device. Just based on this information I would wager your artifact dates to before 1825, the style also just evokes an 18th century aesthetic which is in line with the colonial nature of your dig site.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snuffs out the candle, then you can trim and shape the wick with the built in scissor action. These devices were used in colonial times all the way to the dawn of electricity. But get this, the self-trimming candle, like the ones we have now where the wick curls over itself, was invented in 1825. I'm not sure how quickly it was adopted internationally, but this would have made the device you found superfluous. Cheaper and simpler candle snuffers would likely have become more common than the snuffer/trimmer device. Just based on this information I would wager your artifact dates to before 1825, the style also just evokes an 18th century aesthetic which is in line with the colonial nature of your dig site.
What he said.😊

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Redcoat..... Truly Excellent !!!! As usual. Your input here on TN is superb quality.

Chub

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Thanks Red-Coat for sharing your knowledge... again! Congratulations on the find! Thanks for sharing.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions