Colonial buckle help

skateandcreate

May 5, 2008
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Minelab GPX 4800
Hi guys. Dug this buckle yesterday along with a pretty early rosette. Can any of you identify its use and date it? I originally thought shoe buckle but it’s pretty flat. Thinking baldric maybe? Thanks! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1518519720.815898.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1518519735.118194.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1518519745.013096.jpg

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice buckle unfortunately I can’t be any help with the ID

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an exceptional early baldric buckle. Worn over the shoulder, they mainly date from last quarter of the 17th century into the first quarter of the 18th century.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
skateandcreate

skateandcreate

May 5, 2008
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Thanks Smokey. I was thinking baldric but wanted confirmation. Pity how trashed this site is because I know it’s hiding some amazing stuff.

Upvote 0

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Smokey. I was thinking baldric but wanted confirmation. Pity how trashed this site is because I know it’s hiding some amazing stuff.

It is so worth pulling the trash out. With that type of find I would be expecting some nice coinage and other colonial artifacts.

Upvote 0

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know you aren't going to believe this, but I have the exact same buckle. I never could identify it. I though it was revolutionary war. I dug it in South Carolina next to the coast years ago. I will post a picture of mine tomorrow. I will dig it out tonight and take the photo. You have gotten me so excited. Great find for you and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the centre bar is raised, that would make it a harness buckle, a nice one to. :icon_thumleft:

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
skateandcreate

skateandcreate

May 5, 2008
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
I know you aren't going to believe this, but I have the exact same buckle. I never could identify it. I though it was revolutionary war. I dug it in South Carolina next to the coast years ago. I will post a picture of mine tomorrow. I will dig it out tonight and take the photo. You have gotten me so excited. Great find for you and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Roundness, can’t wait to see.

Upvote 0

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roundness, can’t wait to see.

Here it is. I dug it inland off the coast of South Carolina around 2004. The area I was in was known to have some revolutionary war activity. I had been digging in what I thought was an early trash pit, which turned out to be not period, and looked through the swamp and saw a live oak that had to be 3' at the base. It stood out like a sore thumb. I had to go over and swing my coil around it. That DFX almost blew my ears out when I hit this thing. It was about 8" deep but under the roots of the base of that tree. It took me an hour to get it out but I couldn't give up. It was too sweet of a sound. I couldn't believe it when I finally got it out. I was never able to pin down exactly what it was until I saw your post yesterday. Mine is the exact twin of yours. By the way, about a quarter of a mile from where I dug this buckle, I dug the but end and about 8" of a sword that was so buried under the roots, it took 3 hours to get it out. Evidently the hand guard and pommel gad been made of steel or iron because they just dissentagrated when I got it out of the ground. Looked like the blade had been around 3" wide and thick. I sure did love digging in those swamps. Here it is. I hope someone chimes in to help verify what smokeythecat said.

2018-02-14 04.57.47.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-02-14 04.57.47.jpg
    2018-02-14 04.57.47.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
Upvote 0
OP
OP
skateandcreate

skateandcreate

May 5, 2008
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
I’m even more intrigued now. The site has ties to both early colonial wealth and the revolutionary war.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These buckles definitely appeared late 16th to mid 17thc...great find. Just wondering is the centre bar raised or flat, can't tell from the pictures.

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread