Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
What is up Tnet:hello:

Just got my detector back from being fixed i snapped it in half a few weeks ago..

Got out to a cellar i had already been to but for some reason i had a feeling to go back:icon_scratch:

It was snowy and slushy but i ended up pulling this killer 1775 "Liberty" buckle and gave me the push to hit it hard.It was my first dig
2thumbsup.gif

I cannot find this particular buckle anywhere online but im sure its Revolutionary War related..I read something about a Albany regiment but no pics.So a positve ID is needed please..

Felt good to get out i also grabbed a childs toy pewter iron..Imagine that,this is what children played with:laughing7:

Colonial chape and a smoked like cheech and chong Largie..

Good luck out there:hello:

~Blaze~

Attachments

• Liberty buckle day 023.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 023.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 941
  • Liberty buckle day 021.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 021.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 680
  • Liberty buckle day 022.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 022.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 794
  • Liberty buckle day 025.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 025.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 673
  • Liberty buckle day 026.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 026.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 630
  • Liberty buckle day 028.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 028.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 667
  • Liberty buckle day 029.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 029.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 654
  • Liberty buckle day 018.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 018.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 624
  • Liberty buckle day 009.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 009.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 581
  • Liberty buckle day 008.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 008.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 606
  • Liberty buckle day 007.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 007.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 612
  • Liberty buckle day 003.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 003.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_0959(1).PNG
    IMG_0959(1).PNG
    225.8 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Upvote 61

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds as usual JB. The buckle rocks. Anxious to see what our ID experts come up with on that one. Congrats on anther great save. HH

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very interesting piece to say the least…nice pics too…

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool buckle for sure.
But don't forget about that toy, very early toys are VERY RARE to dig, and I think that find is right up there too. Just think about how many old coins, shoe buckles, and misc colonial items you got, and may I ask how many colonial toys ? I like that one. My old toys are a copper brass pig, and a broken lead rabbit, so basicly one and a half.

Glad you finally got your unit back, tip, good to have a back up.

Last edited:

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Johnny ! That buckle is an exciting find - I'll be watching to see what can be found out about it, but I'm going BANNER !
It is unlike any I've ever seen - the style of the engraved date and the word liberty look close to period to my eye .

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love your Rev war cartridge box mount a LOT. I'm wondering if the missing part could be found at the site? Might be worth a look as I'm sure it could be very nicely repaired. Excellent find!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Johnny document everything and take lots of pictures because this is the reply Don Troini just sent me on the Facebook page. Don Troiani...... 'The general consensus among collectors is that these are fantasy items. Consensus have often been wrong but in this case I really have no idea if it's good , bad or what it's used for. It's undoubtedly a real item but what and how old? Sometimes militia units used the date of their establishment on insignia of a later date into the 19th Century. Then again it could be from 1775. Either way very interesting." This is posted in the Facebook page........REVOLUTIONARY War buttons, plates, and accouterments. You have coins that are 19th century and flat buttons that were used well up to the mid 1850's. This just adds to the confusion. I would go back to the site and see if I could find any more coins or items from the 1700's and ofcourse the other half of the item. This find has my attention! Devonrex

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find again! Good research by members also.You guys are amazing. Nice find at the end of the season.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is certainly a different looking buckle! Congrats!
Hope it goes banner for you!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking that this find may help cause folks to re-think what these buckles were, who used them, and when.

KILLER find!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go Johnny ....... I also posted this info on the Sentinel webwite. Cowan's Auctions: The Midwest's Most Trusted Auction House / Antiques / Fine Art / Art Appraisals Definitely a continental buckle or cartridge box plate. Now go out and find the other half! This one sold for 2875.00 at auction! Oustanding find!!! Devonrex

Interesting, because this creates more questions than answers....

What does IH stand for (used on both pieces)?

What does the EM stand for?

Any thoughts on the above?

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like Devonrex nailed your ID, JB. WTG man! Too bad you didn't find the exploded view parts list so you could get the replacement if you don't find the other half lol.

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Here you go Johnny ....... I also posted this info on the Sentinel webwite. Cowan's Auctions: The Midwest's Most Trusted Auction House / Antiques / Fine Art / Art Appraisals Definitely a continental buckle or cartridge box plate. Now go out and find the other half! This one sold for 2875.00 at auction! Oustanding find!!! Devonrex

Wow Devon i knew you would nail it!!:thumbsup:
Believe it or not the first thing i thought of when i found it was your buckle you found...
I wanted to add i did find this in Connecticut..After some research i came across this..But never any pics of this buckle..

2nd Company Governor's Foot Guard of Connecticut

You guys are awesome for sure.

~Blaze~

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great pics and finds JB. Hope you can get a postive ID on that partial buckle. That has a chance to be an incredible find if period, which it appears to be.

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 1st Connecticut Regiment was authorized on 16 September 1776 in the Continental Army. The regiment was organized between 1 January 1777 at Norwich, Connecticut, with eight companies from the counties of New London, Windham, and Hartford of the state of Connecticut. It was assigned to the 2nd Connecticut Brigade of the Highlands Department on 3 April 1777. On 12 June 1777 it was re-assigned from the 2nd Connecticut Brigade to the 1st Connecticut Brigade. Three days later, 15 June 1777 this brigade was re-assigned to the main Continental Army. On 17 July 1777 the brigade was re-assigned to the Highlands Department. The Regiment was re-assigned to the 2nd Connecticut Brigade on 12 September 1777 and two days later 14 September 1777 the brigade was re-assigned to the main Continental Army. On 2 May 1779 the brigade was re-assigned to the Highlands Department and the regiment was reorganized to nine companies on 11 July 1779. On 16 November 1779 the 2nd Connecticut Brigade was re-assigned to the main Continental Army. One year later, 27 November 1780 the brigade was re-assigned to the Highland Department. On 1 January 1781 the regiment was consolidated with the 8th Connecticut Regiment and was re-designated the 5th Connecticut Regiment. The regiment would see action in the New York Campaign and the Battle of Monmouth

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So Blaze, the "I" could stand for 1st or Independent and the H most definitely stands for Highlands . 1st Highlands. This is my deduction. But is ofcourse speculative until concrete proof is discoved. Now see if you can find out the original occupant on the man who lived at that site and you will have your last name and probably a man who served on the 1st Connecticut Regiment in the Revolutionary War! This is not a buckle but a cartridge box attachment based on attachment hooks on the reverse. Devonrex

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man this is really getting interesting. Great info DRex. A connection to the actual soldier would be incredible

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking that this find may help cause folks to re-think what these buckles were, who used them, and when.

KILLER find!

For sure. Big difference going from Fantasy piece to legit period relic, but the problem is that still does not ID it. Has to be the most interesting unknown posted on here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread