Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
What is up Tnet:hello:

Just got my detector back from being fixed i snapped it in half a few weeks ago..

Got out to a cellar i had already been to but for some reason i had a feeling to go back:icon_scratch:

It was snowy and slushy but i ended up pulling this killer 1775 "Liberty" buckle and gave me the push to hit it hard.It was my first dig
2thumbsup.gif

I cannot find this particular buckle anywhere online but im sure its Revolutionary War related..I read something about a Albany regiment but no pics.So a positve ID is needed please..

Felt good to get out i also grabbed a childs toy pewter iron..Imagine that,this is what children played with:laughing7:

Colonial chape and a smoked like cheech and chong Largie..

Good luck out there:hello:

~Blaze~

Attachments

• Liberty buckle day 023.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 023.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 942
  • Liberty buckle day 021.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 021.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 681
  • Liberty buckle day 022.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 022.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 795
  • Liberty buckle day 025.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 025.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 674
  • Liberty buckle day 026.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 026.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 631
  • Liberty buckle day 018.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 018.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 625
  • Liberty buckle day 029.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 029.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 655
  • Liberty buckle day 028.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 028.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 668
  • Liberty buckle day 009.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 009.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 582
  • Liberty buckle day 008.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 008.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 607
  • Liberty buckle day 007.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 007.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 613
  • Liberty buckle day 003.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 003.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0959(1).PNG
    IMG_0959(1).PNG
    225.8 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Upvote 61

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought , it was home made by a talented silversmith .
Does your research indicate it pre dates 1776 US Independence Year ?
Was the buckle a limited production and not engraved by hand ?

imo it's a strange design for a belt fastener { two small tabs } :icon_scratch: staring at the pic and the break , if the soldier had a weight problem,

it is no wonder the piece was broken , jus sayin' still a Kool find without question JB.

dawg

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool Man,never seen nothing like it,I'd be happy with a find like that.Any thing marked dated from that time frame is cool no matter what it was.Just the fact it's date is marked takes away all the guessing from the time frame for the most part.:thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
My first thought , it was home made by a talented silversmith .
Does your research indicate it pre dates 1776 US Independence Year ?
Was the buckle a limited production and not engraved by hand ?

imo it's a strange design for a belt fastener { two small tabs } :icon_scratch: staring at the pic and the break , if the soldier had a weight problem,

it is no wonder the piece was broken , jus sayin' still a Kool find without question JB.

dawg

Thanks Dawg did you see this link from Devonrex?Cowan's Auctions: The Midwest's Most Trusted Auction House / Antiques / Fine Art / Art Appraisals

These were clearly made for a specific Regiment.

~Blaze~

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Blaze,

Is it possible for you to tell whether there is an ampersand (&) before the world "Liberty" on your buckle/cartridge mount? If you notice on the example from Cowan's auction there is what appears to be an ampersand. If we are to assume the "I H" means something, maybe it has nothing to do with 1st Highlands or the specific regiment but maybe a phrase whereby the "I H" means two as of now unknown words and the last of it is "and Liberty". I'm stretching here but just trying to cover some alternate possibilities on IDing.

Another thing. I spent a not so insignificant amount of time trying to find out what this was prior to Devonrex's revelation. I must have looked at the a thousand images of 17th century buckles, 18th century buckles, rare old buckles, english/french buckles, slotted buckles, your moms buckles...you get the idea. And nothing seemed to have that smoking buckle quality to it. Buckle technology at that time did not have but so many options of being made otherwise the practical use of it kinda got lost if people got too wild in their construction of them.

With yours I was beginning to come to a quandary of..."is it really a buckle at all? or maybe a modified buckle perhaps?" For one, why the rounded bulge on the front? If it was simply a buckle, no other period examples for American made or otherwise looked anything like that. Ok, so maybe it was a one off by someone with some talent and then modified to have the word Liberty, etc. on it. Once Devonrex's example popped up...well we have at least two and they both seem to be military related so the cartridge mount possibility came into play. But if it was a cartridge mount, why the slots and loops on the back just to secure it to the leather or cloth pouch? Then the "I H" (which i never even looked at despite being right there the whole time, my mind just saw slots that obviously had to be for a buckle right?) had me scratching my head and the only thing I could think of is the I H is possibly linked with the word Liberty...or the 1775 year coupled with the firmament of the revolutionary time period saw people crying liberty everywhere and putting it on items like this.

One parting query and this if for my own edification, if this is a cartridge mount, and I have since looked at several other examples, where these pouches re-used over and over? If they were not, it seems kinda wasteful to have such a nice piece of brass simply to be discarded once the ammunition was removed from the pouch.

Apologies for the stream of research consciousness there but a very interesting find if we can.. buckle down and find the right answer. (sorry I couldn't help it :)

Congrats Blaze.

Last edited:

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cartridge Box Accouterments were used as a symbol to designate one's unit. They were mounted through the leather where on the backside a piece of leather was sewn through the loops or two holding it securely. The cartridge box was never discarded when the ammunition was emptied. New ammunition would simply be placed in it. As for the slots....... I too at first only saw the slits and thought of a web belt going through them. But if this was the case they would cover some of the engraving as they would have had to come under, over and through. That idea is more associated with shoulder slings which would have attached to the cartride box. When I finally saw the IH it hit me like a ton of bricks. It was right there the whole time! This is a cartridge box accouterment and an exciting find! Devonrex

Last edited:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Epic. Banner. Way to go!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blaze,

Is it possible for you to tell whether there is an ampersand (&) before the world "Liberty" on your buckle/cartridge mount? If you notice on the example from Cowan's auction there is what appears to be an ampersand. If we are to assume the "I H" means something, maybe it has nothing to do with 1st Highlands or the specific regiment but maybe a phrase whereby the "I H" means two as of now unknown words and the last of it is "and Liberty". I'm stretching here but just trying to cover some alternate possibilities on IDing.

Another thing. I spent a not so insignificant amount of time trying to find out what this was prior to Devonrex's revelation. I must have looked at the a thousand images of 17th century buckles, 18th century buckles, rare old buckles, english/french buckles, slotted buckles, your moms buckles...you get the idea. And nothing seemed to have that smoking buckle quality to it. Buckle technology at that time did not have but so many options of being made otherwise the practical use of it kinda got lost if people got too wild in their construction of them.

With yours I was beginning to come to a quandary of..."is it really a buckle at all? or maybe a modified buckle perhaps?" For one, why the rounded bulge on the front? If it was simply a buckle, no other period examples for American made or otherwise looked anything like that. Ok, so maybe it was a one off by someone with some talent and then modified to have the word Liberty, etc. on it. Once Devonrex's example popped up...well we have at least two and they both seem to be military related so the cartridge mount possibility came into play. But if it was a cartridge mount, why the slots and loops on the back just to secure it to the leather or cloth pouch? Then the "I H" (which i never even looked at despite being right there the whole time, my mind just saw slots that obviously had to be for a buckle right?) had me scratching my head and the only thing I could think of is the I H is possibly linked with the word Liberty...or the 1775 year coupled with the firmament of the revolutionary time period saw people crying liberty everywhere and putting it on items like this.

One parting query and this if for my own edification, if this is a cartridge mount, and I have since looked at several other examples, where these pouches re-used over and over? If they were not, it seems kinda wasteful to have such a nice piece of brass simply to be discarded once the ammunition was removed from the pouch.

Apologies for the stream of research consciousness there but a very interesting find if we can.. buckle down and find the right answer. (sorry I couldn't help it :)

Congrats Blaze.

This to crossed my mind, but the words are probable E.M & Liberty. The EM on both pieces can't be the initials of a person, & being that its a cartridge box plate, it must have been issued.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt JB and the LIBERTY buckle or plate is absolutely amazing. The other half must be there somewhere. I am voting BANNER!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This to crossed my mind, but the words are probable E.M & Liberty. The EM on both pieces can't be the initials of a person, & being that its a cartridge box plate, it must have been issued.

Cru, from past research of other items I've found there's a high occurrence of the initials IH. On the UKDFD there are quite a few buttons and weights with those initials. Probably just a coincidence but I was wondering if you noticed the same. I'll post examples when I get home.

IH probably doesn't have anything to do with JB's find and it just looks that way because of the design but I'm curious.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other

It looks to me like JB's piece has an "L" at the top where the piece on the action site has an "E" This would leave open the possibility that they were the initials of the soldier wearing them. Unless of course the engraver forgot to finish the "E" which would be unlikely.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to me like JB's piece has an "L" at the top where the piece on the action site has an "E" This would leave open the possibility that they were the initials of the soldier wearing them. Unless of course the engraver forgot to finish the "E" which would be unlikely.

No, its worn, look closely, I can see the centre bar of the E & a little of the top.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds! Sight is also in amazing condition:icon_thumright:

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I'm with screwynewy on this one. I don't see even a worn "E". I see a pretty good L.

But let's assume for as second we are wrong and Cru is right and that these are both "E M & Liberty" then we have atleast two examples and while we still don't know the meaning as of yet its a safer bet that JB's find is basically the same thing as the Cowan auction piece minus a third.

But if it's an "L" then screwy is right and what is more likely is the the same base cartridge mount with I H design and "& Liberty" with the only difference being the two letters which gives a nod to it being initials of the owner. If they both belonged to the same regiment, the initials + & Liberty would be a show of solidarity amongst patriots.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a potentially groundbreaking relic. I saw this on Don's page & can't wait to hear the outcome.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only does the first initial look like an L to me (not an E), but the two "liberty" engravings are clearly different. This is a very interesting piece and I really hope we can find out some more about it!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 116

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only does the first initial look like an L to me (not an E), but the two "liberty" engravings are clearly different. This is a very interesting piece and I really hope we can find out some more about it!

Hand engravings will always have differences. The E is there, ask the OP to look closely with a Mag.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hand engravings will always have differences. The E is there, ask the OP to look closely with a Mag.

Only reason I pointed out the difference in the engraving is that there was speculation from the Facebook post mentioned earlier that this could be a fantasy piece from the 19th century. It seems more likely to me, at least, that it could be from 1775 due to the fact that they are hand engraved. At what point would they have used machine engraving as opposed to hand engraving?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only reason I pointed out the difference in the engraving is that there was speculation from the Facebook post mentioned earlier that this could be a fantasy piece from the 19th century. It seems more likely to me, at least, that it could be from 1775 due to the fact that they are hand engraved. At what point would they have used machine engraving as opposed to hand engraving?

Rather than when they crossed over to machines (which is sometime in the 19th C, in fact I seem to remember some machined 18th C stuff, but not that sure), its best to go down the hand writing 'style' route first. Its all a bit speculative, as any period we can hand engrave & we can copy any style of writing, but an expert might spot the small differences.
What worries me a little, is that it looks to be made of brass, which suggests a 19th C date. But I would like it to be 18th because the script looks convincing.

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input everyone i really appreciate it:hello:

You can clearly see the same person engraved both buckles.Like Cru said by hand they will never be exact..This is absolutely positively a period piece in my opinion.I think the letters on top were the soldiers name..

~Blaze~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread