Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
What is up Tnet:hello:

Just got my detector back from being fixed i snapped it in half a few weeks ago..

Got out to a cellar i had already been to but for some reason i had a feeling to go back:icon_scratch:

It was snowy and slushy but i ended up pulling this killer 1775 "Liberty" buckle and gave me the push to hit it hard.It was my first dig
2thumbsup.gif

I cannot find this particular buckle anywhere online but im sure its Revolutionary War related..I read something about a Albany regiment but no pics.So a positve ID is needed please..

Felt good to get out i also grabbed a childs toy pewter iron..Imagine that,this is what children played with:laughing7:

Colonial chape and a smoked like cheech and chong Largie..

Good luck out there:hello:

~Blaze~

Attachments

• Liberty buckle day 023.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 023.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 941
  • Liberty buckle day 021.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 021.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 680
  • Liberty buckle day 022.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 022.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 794
  • Liberty buckle day 025.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 025.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 673
  • Liberty buckle day 026.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 026.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 630
  • Liberty buckle day 028.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 028.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 667
  • Liberty buckle day 029.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 029.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 654
  • Liberty buckle day 018.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 018.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 624
  • Liberty buckle day 008.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 008.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 606
  • Liberty buckle day 009.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 009.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 581
  • Liberty buckle day 007.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 007.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 612
  • Liberty buckle day 003.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 003.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_0959(1).PNG
    IMG_0959(1).PNG
    225.8 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Upvote 61

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input everyone i really appreciate it:hello:

You can clearly see the same person engraved both buckles.Like Cru said by hand they will never be exact..This is absolutely positively a period piece in my opinion.I think the letters on top were the soldiers name..

~Blaze~

I'm not in the soldiers name camp, no pun intended. As far as I'm aware there is no other item of this nature that has all the carving done at the same time with inidividuals initials. Soldiers initials are normally a later add on.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
This being found in Connecticut has a connection to The broadside movement as this CT pamphlet shows..

I did not know Benedict Arnold was from CT:laughing7:
Even before war erupted, Connecticut passed anti-Tory laws. In time, these—and harassment from liberty-minded neighbors—forced many loyal to Britain to flee their homes or suffer imprisonment. When fighting started in 1775 - See more at: Revolutionary War | ConnecticutHistory.org

Attachments

• RevWarBroadside-e1332016656366-610x559.jpg
    RevWarBroadside-e1332016656366-610x559.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 96

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Johnny, William Penn had a son who was loyal to Britain and thought the revolters were traitors. A house he had built still stands on the grounds of the Philadelphia Zoo ( the oldest zoo in America ). The curator allowed my gf ( I think a lot of it had to do with the fact she is British ) and myself to go inside and he gave us the verbal tour. We weren't supposed to go inside as it is closed to visitors, but when I explained that visiting the house was the main reason for us coming to the zoo, he decided to let us just into the entry. If you think what it must have been like to live during those times, an open minded person can understand the emotional conflict our ancestors must have had.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
No, its worn, look closely, I can see the centre bar of the E & a little of the top.

Still not seeing it and not sure how you are?

JB, what do you see holding it in your hand? Is it an E or an L?

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Still not seeing it and not sure how you are?

JB, what do you see holding it in your hand? Is it an E or an L?

Looks like an L to me.

Attachments

• i see an L.jpg
    i see an L.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you JB. I see an "L". Great find ! We'd all like to find something so unique and possibly a significant piece of our history. :thumbsup:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quite the amazing buckle find Johnny! :occasion14:
It took me almost 15mins to read the entire thread, which is something I rarely have time to do! :laughing7:

Nice to see you received a confirmation on what it is from (John) Devonrex!
Dave

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an L to me.

That close up is better, the remants of a line on the top looks more like an imperfection in the metal.

Therefore, if we have different letters at the top, it makes me think later than 18th C, as I can't see this being the way the military would issue, unless its has nothing to do with peoples names.

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
That close up is better, the remants of a line on the top looks more like an imperfection in the metal.

Therefore, if we have different letters at the top, it makes me think later than 18th C, as I can't see this being the way the military would issue, unless its has nothing to do with peoples names.

Cru i think your on to something because i looked up the Revolutionary war soldiers from this town and wouldn't you know only one and he lived in the house next to this one!!!

His first name begins with a J and i have a strong feeling that this could have been his..

I feel Devonrex Id'ed this correctly already i mean the plate sold for almost 3 grand!!

This is period and the two Liberty engraving"s where done by the same hand in my opinion..

Cowan's Auctions: The Midwest's Most Trusted Auction House / Antiques / Fine Art / Art Appraisals

~Blaze~

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be nice if you could find the other piece!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru i think your on to something because i looked up the Revolutionary war soldiers from this town and wouldn't you know only one and he lived in the house next to this one!!!

His first name begins with a J and i have a strong feeling that this could have been his..

I feel Devonrex Id'ed this correctly already i mean the plate sold for almost 3 grand!!

This is period and the two Liberty engraving"s where done by the same hand in my opinion..

Cowan's Auctions: The Midwest's Most Trusted Auction House / Antiques / Fine Art / Art Appraisals

~Blaze~

I don't really care what someone paid for it, its more interesting to get to the truth. The money is not an ID or an explanation. The questions are still unanswered. What is it telling us?

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't really care what someone paid for it, its more interesting to get to the truth. The money is not an ID or an explanation. The questions are still unanswered. What is it telling us?

Well the monetary value tells me 2 things Cru baby...

The purchaser of that buckle new the history of it.

And was confident enough in it they dropped $2900.00 smackaroos to purchase it!!

So find this person and we know the history its out there somewhere..

~Blaze~

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And was confident enough in it they dropped $2900.00 smackaroos to purchase it!!

~Blaze~

Right! They're not going to pay a lot for something that's not period.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

~Blaze~

Get what your saying but museums have spent millions on fakes, so confidence (paying money) is not a certainty on a correct ID.

However, 2 people thought it rare & significant, & like you state they would be a very good avenue for questioning. Because there is a chance they know something that is not general knowledge.

What I forgot to mention, is that this is not a British made item,(my opinion) as far as I'm aware the only 2 nations big on the word 'Liberty' was the US & France (after/during the French Revolution). Those are where the hunt should be centred, & being that its in English, the US becomes most likely.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
The item first belonged to the Rex Stark collection and then to the John W. Armiger (Jr.) Collection. The Armigers both father and son some to have a lot to do with veterans awareness and that of fire/police/public saftey in the Baltimore, MD area. John Jr. helps maintain a scholarship for Maryland college/university students with an interest in public safety issues. I say all of this because John Jr sits on the board of the scholarship and it has a website and email address. So you could if you wish reach out to John Jr and he may have more information on this piece.

I will say that the other Armiger collection items sold at Cowans auction at that time were both numerous and of good quality. Might have to remind him about this piece if you get ahold of him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions