Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
What is up Tnet:hello:

Just got my detector back from being fixed i snapped it in half a few weeks ago..

Got out to a cellar i had already been to but for some reason i had a feeling to go back:icon_scratch:

It was snowy and slushy but i ended up pulling this killer 1775 "Liberty" buckle and gave me the push to hit it hard.It was my first dig
2thumbsup.gif

I cannot find this particular buckle anywhere online but im sure its Revolutionary War related..I read something about a Albany regiment but no pics.So a positve ID is needed please..

Felt good to get out i also grabbed a childs toy pewter iron..Imagine that,this is what children played with:laughing7:

Colonial chape and a smoked like cheech and chong Largie..

Good luck out there:hello:

~Blaze~

Attachments

• Liberty buckle day 023.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 023.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 942
  • Liberty buckle day 021.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 021.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 681
  • Liberty buckle day 022.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 022.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 795
  • Liberty buckle day 025.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 025.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 674
  • Liberty buckle day 026.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 026.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 631
  • Liberty buckle day 018.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 018.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 625
  • Liberty buckle day 029.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 029.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 655
  • Liberty buckle day 028.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 028.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 668
  • Liberty buckle day 009.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 009.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 582
  • Liberty buckle day 008.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 008.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 607
  • Liberty buckle day 007.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 007.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 613
  • Liberty buckle day 003.jpg
    Liberty buckle day 003.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0959(1).PNG
    IMG_0959(1).PNG
    225.8 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Upvote 61

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours is American, not British, and being American plates are Much MUCH rarer than British ones you are actually doing your find a great injustice suggesting that.... plus I disagree, doesn't look the same to me. The style of plate you dug is not at all like anything British or Loyalist that I've seen so finding out it's an oddball American one makes a lot fo sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Yours is American, not British, and being American plates are Much MUCH rarer than British ones you are actually doing your find a great injustice suggesting that.... plus I disagree, doesn't look the same to me. The style of plate you dug is not at all like anything British or Loyalist that I've seen so finding out it's an oddball American one makes a lot fo sense.

Hey IP Happy New Year how is the weather up there?
I should have said similar shape which it is..I just wanted to visualize where the buckle could have been worn on the Soldier..
Certainly is American.

~Blaze~

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey IP Happy New Year how is the weather up there?
I should have said similar shape which it is..I just wanted to visualize where the buckle could have been worn on the Soldier..
Certainly is American.

~Blaze~

Cold, snow, that whole gig. :)

So what happen to the suggestion of it being a cartridge box plate? Some of the big names in collecting have seen this and they don't believe it's a cartridge plate? I thought that was already accepted as it probably being how it was used. It would probably be even rarer to find a picture of one in use than digging one so that ain't gonna happen, and also don't forget, or maybe you didn't know, Don T. was the uniform expert they consulted for that movie.

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Cold, snow, that whole gig. :)

So what happen to the suggestion of it being a cartridge box plate? Some of the big names in collecting have seen this and they don't believe it's a cartridge plate? I thought that was already accepted as it probably being how it was used. It would probably be even rarer to find a picture of one in use than digging one so that ain't gonna happen, and also don't forget, or maybe you didn't know, Don T. was the uniform expert they consulted for that movie.

Don T seemed stumped by this and thought it was a fantasy piece..What he does not know is i was contacted by a high end collector who owns the only other one known..Not the one in the auction..I am sworn to secrecy about revealing it or showing a picture which i will honor till death.
Due to counterfeiting also..He is the man but does not know it all:laughing7:

~Blaze~

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don T seemed stumped by this and thought it was a fantasy piece..What he does not know is i was contacted by a high end collector who owns the only other one known..Not the one in the auction..I am sworn to secrecy about revealing it or showing a picture which i will honor till death.
Due to counterfeiting also..He is the man but does not know it all:laughing7:

~Blaze~

Hey John
IP is right and American all the way. On all 3 known plates the letters are different and soldier's names. I know the high end collector and seen that plate so that much is known. How it was worn may be a mystery but the 3 lugs as cast on all of them suggests cartridge box plate however being only 2.5 by 2.75 inches thin and the
IH" cut out not very heavy for that purpose. Their purpose was to hold down the leather flap . I think every one who has some knowledge of Rev War relics has probably put in their opinions . I waited to do more research before throwing mine in but here it is. I am sure you can exclude British or Loyalist . I think you can also exclude Continental Army as just about all is know about their uniforms and accrutements. That leaves you with Militia that did not conform to Washington's Army in what they wore. In most cases only the officers had uniforms . My guess is it is a militia plate an offiicer had specially made at least for officers and maybe sergeants. The IH may be religious in nature and probably a laten meaning. Notice the amperstand on the first example just before "LIBERTY" . So the meaning may be "God & Liberty. Just about everyone back then were highly religious . That is my take and welcome any opiniions if others are still following this thread.
BTW on my USA relic I posted a while back I am rethinking it being a repro now after considering what I was told but won't repost again and leave it as is. Also just a matter of time the fakers will find this one on TN so beware what surfaces. Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey John
IP is right and American all the way. On all 3 known plates the letters are different and soldier's names. I know the high end collector and seen that plate so that much is known. How it was worn may be a mystery but the 3 lugs as cast on all of them suggests cartridge box plate however being only 2.5 by 2.75 inches thin and the
IH" cut out not very heavy for that purpose. Their purpose was to hold down the leather flap . I think every one who has some knowledge of Rev War relics has probably put in their opinions . I waited to do more research before throwing mine in but here it is. I am sure you can exclude British or Loyalist . I think you can also exclude Continental Army as just about all is know about their uniforms and accrutements. That leaves you with Militia that did not conform to Washington's Army in what they wore. In most cases only the officers had uniforms . My guess is it is a militia plate an offiicer had specially made at least for officers and maybe sergeants. The IH may be religious in nature and probably a laten meaning. Notice the amperstand on the first example just before "LIBERTY" . So the meaning may be "God & Liberty. Just about everyone back then were highly religious . That is my take and welcome any opiniions if others are still following this thread.
BTW on my USA relic I posted a while back I am rethinking it being a repro now after considering what I was told but won't repost again and leave it as is. Also just a matter of time the fakers will find this one on TN so beware what surfaces. Gary

Gary i have a question..After the war was a Militia Man considered a Rev War veteran??

~Blaze~

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gary i have a question..After the war was a Militia Man considered a Rev War veteran??

~Blaze~

During the 8 years war almost all colonial militias became part of Washington's Continental army and were like drafted in for usually a 3 month period. Congress would pay them . There was not a Federal government until the 1790s and each soldier would have to provide proof of service for a pension. The simple answer is yes everyone that got called for service wether militia. drafted into the colonial army or enlisted are vets.

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
During the 8 years war almost all colonial militias became part of Washington's Continental army and were like drafted in for usually a 3 month period. Congress would pay them . There was not a Federal government until the 1790s and each soldier would have to provide proof of service for a pension. The simple answer is yes everyone that got called for service wether militia. drafted into the colonial army or enlisted are vets.

What is a Pensioneer?

~Blaze~

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
~~Update~~Picture of Complete buckle~~

Here is the buckle together again after finding the missing piece on April 22,2015...:headbang:

~Blaze~

Attachments

• IMG_0959(1).PNG
    IMG_0959(1).PNG
    225.8 KB · Views: 138

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread