Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finds from two different hunts. I have a bad habit of calling everything "colonial" right on up to the 1820's and 30's. Some of this stuff might not really be colonial but it is a grab bag.

I'm wondering if anyone can date the axe head. It was found at the site with the KG3 and I'd be curious to know if it's as early as those finds. Also, I'd love to know what the small threaded knob came from. It looks familiar, but I can't place it.

permission1group.jpg
permission1closeups.jpg
axe.jpg

creekgrouping.jpg
Discovered a maker's mark on these shoe buckle innards. Can't find any info on the name. Looks like "Simcox."
creekcloseups.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 24

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
The axe head has an old shape and almost no poll (the pounding side opposite the blade) so it looks very old to me also. I find relatively modern farm machinery artifacts sometimes on my old sites, things like sprayer parts. Perhaps the threaded part is that. You have a great site!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds buddy, I too would consider the majority of your finds to be 'colonial' in nature. :thumbsup:

In my opinion, if you refer to something as a relic from an earlier period of history, you mean that it belonged to that period but has survived into the present. A 'colonial relic' by definition is something that was made or used a long time ago and which now survives for its historical significance.

Love this little 'colonial relic'.
Dave
I think using the term colonial can be very confusing. Technically, the colonial period in any country is the period when the country was under colonial rule by another country. The colonial period for the United States is different than for Canada or Mexico. Also, the colonial period in the US was about 300 years. So rather than call something "colonial", why not call it "late 18th Century" or "mid to late 18th Century"? That's what I do. I try to avoid using the term "colonial".

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
axe looks close to 1800's to me, also no expert though

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think using the term colonial can be very confusing. Technically, the colonial period in any country is the period when the country was under colonial rule by another country. The colonial period for the United States is different than for Canada or Mexico. Also, the colonial period in the US was about 300 years. So rather than call something "colonial", why not call it "late 18th Century" or "mid to late 18th Century"? That's what I do. I try to avoid using the term "colonial".

I agree with you, Steve, even though I just used the term in this subject line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread