colorado detecting

Mitchmann

Apr 4, 2022
HI, Newbie here. Any Colorado detectors here? Am trying to figure out detecting for Colorado mountains and plains. I tried reaching out to the state forums.(no response).I tried reaching out to the local clubs.(no response).just wanted to know if a equinox 600 will pick up gold in the mountain streams/rocks like the 800 specifies it will(in Colorado). please re-direct me if in wrong forum.or direct to a good known online source.
sorry for the stupid questions.

Upvote 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In multi freq 600 and 800 run identical freqs, in single freq mode, the 600 can not run the 20 and 40 kHz freqs.

opalboy

Nov 3, 2012
I'm up in Summit county, the book "Finding gold in colorado" is a good place to start. Summit county and Leadville had detectable gold, most is probably on private land, I see some every summer, so it's still there! I've been trommelling the last few weeks when weather allows. I've got the fever bad.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, Newbie here. Any Colorado detectors here? Am trying to figure out detecting for Colorado mountains and plains. I tried reaching out to the state forums.(no response).I tried reaching out to the local clubs.(no response).just wanted to know if a equinox 600 will pick up gold in the mountain streams/rocks like the 800 specifies it will(in Colorado). please re-direct me if in wrong forum.or direct to a good known online source.
sorry for the stupid questions.
Hello,
I'm glad to see another "Coloradian" on the site. I do lot of dectecting but Find very little in Colorado. nothing like the lucky dogs back on the East Coast find. There are of course a few places if you are lucky enough to score on the area your searching. Outskirts of old mining towns, maybe some abandoned railroad tracks, even CAMPSITES Modern or otherwise. My local Library supplies me with plenty of searching info by reseaching the history around these parts. IT does pay to research.

OP
OP
M

Mitchmann

Apr 4, 2022
Hello,
I'm glad to see another "Coloradian" on the site. I do lot of dectecting but Find very little in Colorado. nothing like the lucky dogs back on the East Coast find. There are of course a few places if you are lucky enough to score on the area your searching. Outskirts of old mining towns, maybe some abandoned railroad tracks, even CAMPSITES Modern or otherwise. My local Library supplies me with plenty of searching info by reseaching the history around these parts. IT does pay to research.
Thanks! been in Colorado since 1997.just picking up detecting. seems like a lot of history here.good to know it pays. as Colorado country is vigorous for walking.LOL. am wanting to pickup the book that opalboy suggested and see if that helps.as for I am not a panner. but hey,ya' never know.
Question: what is a good entry/intermediate level trowel and shovel for colordo? maybe grass and some loose rock.
garrett? lesche? etc... etc..?

Last edited:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to detect in Colorado the easiest way is to join the Gold Prospectors Association of America (GPAA), and/or the Gold Prospectors of Colorado. Both have club claims in Colorado for members. Also, Clear Creek above Golden in the canyon is open for any kind of metal detecting, panning, sluicing, and dredging (up to 4" I believe). Arapahoe Bar is open for panning, sluicing, and metal detecting. Everyone says that you can only find flakes in Arapahoe Bar, but I've heard of people finding nuggets. The city of Fairplay has a panning park that's $10.00 a day or $100.00 for a one-year permit. I know they're non-motorized like Arapahoe bar, but you might want to call and ask if they allow metal detectors. The material there is dredge tailings that are large cobbles, so there's a chance of finding gold in those cobbles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread