IMG_20220126_170020.jpg
    751 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20220126_170004.jpg
    IMG_20220126_170004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
Upvote 4

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
A woman in the city who's husband had past away was selling off his lapidary equipment, I had responded to a large cabinet saw.

When the woman noticed I came with a truck asked me if I would be interested in the rock supply just for removing it.

Ended up with some beautiful specimens one in particular a very large slab of tigers eye and a lot of jade and agate.

She showed me some jade her husband had cut into dinner plate sized slices perhaps a quarter inch thick which was very a very translucent apple green, she would not part with it.

Jade is one of my of favorite gem stones, great care should be taken when carving, grinding or polishing as its listed as a carcinogenic.

I suggest you wet your stones in the future for much better color when taking pictures.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yes but that is not the rocks we are looking at

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Well you are mistaking. They are jadeite not nephrite, so is the light green far left and the bottom two. The spotted one is a mix of actinolite and jadeite.
My journey into lapidary was to teach my two children new skills, most of which they learned from others at a club we had joined.

Late 70's early 80's, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt. After they left home my son claimed some of the equipment and I sold the large slab saw.

When I built my shop I had buried a large piece of jade under the concrete floor as a symbol of good luck.

Jade is believed to bring luck. Just like a four-leaf clover is considered a symbol of good fortune, jade is thought to have protective, lucky-charm energy. That's why you'll often see jade statues used in feng shui, and why babies in Asian cultures are often gifted jade bracelets when they're born.

OP
OP
M

MountOlymp

Jul 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My journey into lapidary was to teach my two children new skills, most of which they learned from others at a club we had joined.

Late 70's early 80's, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt. After they left home my son claimed some of the equipment and I sold the large slab saw.

When I built my shop I had buried a large piece of jade under the concrete floor as a symbol of good luck.

Jade is believed to bring luck. Just like a four-leaf clover is considered a symbol of good fortune, jade is thought to have protective, lucky-charm energy. That's why you'll often see jade statues used in feng shui, and why babies in Asian cultures are often gifted jade bracelets when they're born.
Nice to hear about parents being cooperative with their offspring

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
My father used to say here's my son Gill never worked a day in his life and lives the life of Riley while my wife used to say from feast to famine.

After we had divorced I asked her one day how she and Gary were getting along.
She replied, at least with you there never was a boring moment.

After my father passed away, his live in one day asked me if I would like to go on a Caribbean cruse, she would pay.
I said yes then whet out to my shop and thought about it, went back into the house asking her if she would consider my ex as her companion.

That out of the way went back to the shop and phoned my ex at her workplace. Put the offer to her, she replied she had already taken her holidays off.

Told her to ask her boss and that I would phone back, anyhow her boss told her she'd be crazy not to accept.
When they arrived at Pearson the airline had over booked, but to speed their travel over the concourse my ex had put the old lady into a wheel chair.

The airline asked of anyone would care to delay their flight with free hotel, three people abandoned their flight for an extra evening in Toronto.

Jade really is a good luck charm, unfortunately the spell was broken after I had sold the property.
Never bury your jade where you might have to leave it behind.

OP
OP
M

MountOlymp

Jul 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father used to say here's my son Gill never worked a day in his life and lives the life of Riley while my wife used to say from feast to famine.

After we had divorced I asked her one day how she and Gary were getting along.
She replied, at least with you there never was a boring moment.

After my father passed away, his live in one day asked me if I would like to go on a Caribbean cruse, she would pay.
I said yes then whet out to my shop and thought about it, went back into the house asking her if she would consider my ex as her companion.

That out of the way went back to the shop and phoned my ex at her workplace. Put the offer to her, she replied she had already taken her holidays off.

Told her to ask her boss and that I would phone back, anyhow her boss told her she'd be crazy not to accept.
When they arrived at Pearson the airline had over booked, but to speed their travel over the concourse my ex had put the old lady into a wheel chair.

The airline asked of anyone would care to delay their flight with free hotel, three people abandoned their flight for an extra evening in Toronto.

Jade really is a good luck charm, unfortunately the spell was broken after I had sold the property.
Never bury your jade where you might have to leave it behind.
I sleep with this first black green under my pillow, i can swear i have the best sleep ever.

Attachments

• IMG_20211129_050316.jpg
    IMG_20211129_050316.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20211129_050232.jpg
    IMG_20211129_050232.jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20211231_132648.jpg
    IMG_20211231_132648.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread