Complaining has been my downfall - true confessions of THIS detectorist!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
up here in NEPA we just do and say whatever we feel is us. We're all a little different that whats makes us interesting...site or location...id rather things be mixed up a little then everyone refer to something the same way. It gets boring...i mean there about 10-20 posters on her that refer to a war nickel as a OD nickel...its fun and its what makes us all the individuals we are...but hey ur way is all good too...whatever floats thy boat!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I look at it this way. The digger's vocabulary was basicly made up for the show. If you have seen there older video's , it isn't there. I don't use it. it is really kind of childish.
As far as other words, I don't care what is used as long as it is an accepted common usage. A lot of words are interchangeable in meaning. What burns me is PC restrictions. But if the right man gets in there, I think you will see this vanish. The point is, if you know what he is talking about, who cares how he chooses to express himself? Hay It's freedom of speech. Remember the First! Frank

Frankn-3 Eagle_edited-2.jpg

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn - you are 100% right, its a local thing, and everyone has a way of expression..., as long as everyone understands what is being said.
So, what is "bling", anyway? :laughing7:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
50 grand! 50 grand an episode, that's what they get. And that gets the show producers a couple of experienced detectorist acting like clowns. Apparently that is what sells. It is what it is.

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
50 grand! 50 grand an episode, that's what they get. And that gets the show producers a couple of experienced detectorist acting like clowns. Apparently that is what sells. It is what it is.

You are right!
I'd speak Pig Latin and do a hand-stand, for a half-hour-show..., if I got paid that much!
(Imagine, getting PAID to go detecting...!) WOW!

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each his/her own -- I've heard terms come and go, and it just goes with language in general; it tends to evolve. Pick up a 1970's book on C.B. radio if you want to see some really funny terms. My guess is, most guys back then really didn't use that much lingo, like they did in Smokey and the Bandit.

Either way, like I said, to each their own -- I'm too busy testing, practicing, searching, researching, planning or at least thinking about my next search to stress over the little things. If someone loves to call their finds "juice" good for them if that makes them happy, as for me, I just call them finds and they (and the hobby) make me happy.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You want grammar reality?

A zebra died and went to heaven. As St. Peter was allowing the zebra to enter the zebra said. St. Peter, I have a question for you. Am I white with black stripes or black with white stripes? St. Peter thinks a moment and says, Zebra, that is a question only God can answer.

So the zebra is enjoying heaven and one day he meets God. The zebra says God. would you please tell me if I am white with black stripes or black with white stripes. God replies, Zebra, you are what you are. The zebra walks away more puzzled. A while later the zebra gets a chance to meet St. Peter again. St. Peter says, Hey zebra, did God answer your question? The zebra says yes, but it has left me more puzzled. St. Peter says, why, what did God tell you. The zebra said, God said you are what you are. St. Peter thinks for a moment and says it's simple then. You are white with black stripes. The zebra says, how do you come to that conclusion?. St Peter says simple, if you were black with white stripes God would have said, You is what you is.

I hope that is looked on as a cultural joke and not a racist one. I don't do the latter.

Anyway We have wheat's, zincolns and houses as pennies. Houses are copper memorial cents. I don't go metal detecting, I go beeping. Not location, not sight, I call it a spot. I never watch TV and have never seen diggers. I have only heard on other sites what they say. They are getting paid and getting coaxed by the producers. We all know, that drama has to be added.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyway We have wheat's, zincolns and houses as pennies. Houses are copper memorial cents. I don't go metal detecting, I go beeping. Not location, not sight, I call it a spot. I never watch TV and have never seen diggers. I have only heard on other sites what they say. They are getting paid and getting coaxed by the producers. We all know, that drama has to be added.

THIS (above) part I like - the joke? I'm not gonna touch that one!

As for the lingo, I grew up in SE Texas back in the CB boom! Would have given anything to keep the bizarre lingo rather than to have it evolve into the filth that it did. Look back at the 60's and all the MAJOR bizarre lingo used then!! I never personally knew anyone who talked that way - guess it was the company I kept. But in the end, it's all just words. In a perfect world, it wouldn't matter how we interpret the words, but the meaning behind the words when they were said. (were they said with anger? sarcasm? humor?)

I grew up in Texas before it became flooded with people from other regions. For the people who were born and raised there, I could tell you with near 100% accuracy whether they were from north, south, east, west, or central Texas. Same with Louisiana and Oklahoma. Different dialects; different meanings for words according to region; different ways of pronunciation. It's all just communicating with others. Some people take care to be better understood. Other people ramble on using the latest and greatest lingo. Now this texting phase where everything is abbreviated. I had enough abbreviations in the USAF to last me a lifetime.

...I guess as pet peeves, I'd have to say the texting/abbreviating, and the less-than-colorful language of many black folks (the ones that keep racism alive). I'm not knocking these folks - I just can't wrap my head around what they're saying no matter how hard I try!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

50K?? For that much money a show, I'd turn my hat around backwards, let my jeans dangle down around my knees and drool at the mouth!!:headbang:

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this thread about the show diggers? I saw part of an episode last night and I had to turn it off, those guys are way over dramatic. I have found plenty of amazing things but have never ran around acting like a fool, I usually dont want to call attention to myself. But $50 grand an episode would have me doing that for sure. lol

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THIS (above) part I like - the joke? I'm not gonna touch that one!

As for the lingo, I grew up in SE Texas back in the CB boom! Would have given anything to keep the bizarre lingo rather than to have it evolve into the filth that it did. Look back at the 60's and all the MAJOR bizarre lingo used then!! I never personally knew anyone who talked that way - guess it was the company I kept. But in the end, it's all just words. In a perfect world, it wouldn't matter how we interpret the words, but the meaning behind the words when they were said. (were they said with anger? sarcasm? humor?)

I grew up in Texas before it became flooded with people from other regions. For the people who were born and raised there, I could tell you with near 100% accuracy whether they were from north, south, east, west, or central Texas. Same with Louisiana and Oklahoma. Different dialects; different meanings for words according to region; different ways of pronunciation. It's all just communicating with others. Some people take care to be better understood. Other people ramble on using the latest and greatest lingo. Now this texting phase where everything is abbreviated. I had enough abbreviations in the USAF to last me a lifetime.

...I guess as pet peeves, I'd have to say the texting/abbreviating, and the less-than-colorful language of many black folks (the ones that keep racism alive). I'm not knocking these folks - I just can't wrap my head around what they're saying no matter how hard I try!

You are very right!
After my initial outburst - the thread, I've had plenty of time to think about what you say, and that is just the way we are, unique, and thru all that, we may have started our own lingo too, of which would mean a lot to us, but maybe not others. Depends a lot on when and where we were raised, and/or started detecting....
My style of detecting is low-profile, low-key, and try not to attract attention to my hunting activities, even if it is legal and/or with permission. Yet, if I'm approached by a curious passer-by, I'm happy to answer questions and demonstrate no-trace digging. I'm all for promoting the hobby and good ethics.
Thanks for commenting (everyone, too!)

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EYE - I thought your example was kind of humorous - Some people call it a MERC - but you call it a Mercury. Guess what?
They are both slang - It's actually a liberty dime, MERC and Mercury were slang as people "thought" it looked like Mercury.

OP
OP
eyemustdigtreasure

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EYE - I thought your example was kind of humorous - Some people call it a MERC - but you call it a Mercury. Guess what?
They are both slang - It's actually a liberty dime, MERC and Mercury were slang as people "thought" it looked like Mercury.

I guess you are right on all accounts - silly me! My coin book calls those dimes Winged Liberty Head or "Mercury" Type - which looks like the (Greek?) god Mercury, I suppose...., anyway its SILVER!

(see the bees nest I stirred-up?!) :laughing7:

Thanks for commenting.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn, this group will argue about anything.

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , hope you find a little bit of yourself, in the ramblings that follow....:

I don't like using jive, slang for what we know is true - so I won't use "nectar" or "juice",
"roundness"....(WHATEVER!), but I will call your "Merc" a MERCURY DIME.....I know I'm weird,
I guess it is just my age/generation - I'm SURE!

Another complaint I have is:

Why do we have to call a LOCATION a "Site"?
Calling your place to hunt a Site, implies an archaeological,
Cultural Resource (recorded) SITE!
We are gaining a lot of info from the ground, in our hunts, however.
And we share with others of what we learn, gaining almost the needed
field experience, in all kinds of recovery and conservation of our relics.....(wait!)....ARTIFACTS,
no...., "Relics" - and don't-you-forget-it~! :laughing7:

....BOY, I'm glad I got THAT off my chest!
GL and HH :thumbsup:

I really don't care what people say about their metal detecting, treasure finding or whatever. Honestly I've got way too many other important things to worry about than the verbiage people use on the Internet for their hobby.

But if you want to get technical, why not refer to these Mercs by their proper name "Winged Liberty Head dime?"

Edit: never mind I see that has already been addressed; carry on folks

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I'm writing on a subject and it is being read by someone else it is not as good a read if I keep using the same words--site, location, spot, place, field, park, school, beach, homestead, grove, swimming hole, stream, bridge,tot lot, playground ----metal detector, unit, machine, tool, toy, md, MDer, kit, set-up,---detecting, treasure hunting, dirt fishing, playin in the mud, playin in the sand, relic hunting, coin shooting, some who don't appreciate what we do call it trash picking, ---- so I guess the point is, the subject is, the conversation is, the object of this thread is, that many words mean the same thing and we like to mix it up a little bit. It makes the whole thing, gig,escapade, trip, funner and more interesting! HH and GL Happy Hunting and Good Luck!!!!!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I correct myself constantly. I can't tell other folks what to do as I can barely tell myself what to do. As a driver of a big trick there were unwritten rules. Complaining was part of the territory. Just don't be part of the problem and stay away from those who are. Come Back

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There were 'sites' long before there where archies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread