computer scrap fingers

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
P

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nobody? :help:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
you talking about the gold ends on the cards? I don't think your going to get much if anything on ebay by time you pay ebays percent. I just take the whole card into the scrap center with the towers for the weight.

OP
OP
P

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks

haz

Greenie
Jul 1, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, GTP 1350
If you have about 1lb of them, they sell for $40+ on ebay, look up gold fingers under the computer section, or gold scrap. You can cut them off with a pair of tin snips, or a band saw but it makes dust.

OP
OP
P

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i checked out ebay. looks like it might be worth it for some extra money.

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
Always cut the gold fingers off the cards. Our local scrap yard will still pay pretty good money for the cards with the fingers removed. And yes, they sell like hell on e-bay. Why? Because they are the easiest thing to refine and recover the scrap gold. most people start with fingers. And $40.00 a pound is small potatoes. Make sure when you trim the fingers you stay as close to the gold as you can. Close trimmed fingers will fetch upwards to a hundred dollars a pound. I have well over 50 pounds of fingers that I have been saving for a few years now. Someday when I retire I'm gonna learn how to refine them myself!

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
wow didn't know this about the fingers sure going to start saving them. Don't get much computer stuff anymore but will snag what I can now. Thanks for the info.

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
If you have a local yard that will buy your electronic scrap, computers are a great way to earn a little extra cash. Everything in a computer is recyclable. And it's a clean type of scrap so you can take them apart in the house if you wish. You can get computers for free just about anywhere anymore! One thing before you start scrapping computers, make sure you have an outlet for the CRT monitors. It can get pretty pricy to dispose of them properly. We always charge $5.00 more than the disposal fee to recycle monitors. They are a pain.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
We have a place that recycles electronics but they charge to take them. Pretty much everything with a computer the scrap yard will take except keyboards and monitors. I know I had 40 computer towers and more hard drives than that that I got from a guy I took the hard drives apart for the aluminum and did pretty good on them but sure wish i would have known about the fingers I had a huge amount of cards for those towers. Makes me want to cry now how I just tossed them in the scrap pile with the towers. To bad not friends with that dude anymore I could get more PC stuff.

OP
OP
P

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after you cut the fingers off, is there any scrap value for the fingerless card?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I guess I am dumb what are you talking about (fingers) I have excess to computers now and then That I always sell for scrap so where are the fingers....Matt

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Pull out one of the cards the video or hd controler and look at the gold color at the bottom where it fits in the slot on the motherboard

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
The finger edges are the gold plated edges that plug your card into the socket on the motherboard. Just google gold finger edge photo and you'll see what they are.

Yes, most yards will still buy the boards with the fingers removed. As almost everybody removes them nowadays, it's almost the norm.

OP
OP
P

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks....

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Thanks for the infor.....Matt

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to find computer equip. in your areas that is government excess, log into gsaauctions.gov and click on "computer equipment and accessories". Often times these items don't even receive 1 bid and can be picked up for a song. You just have to pay for it on time and pick the items up at whatever agency listed them.

Tomcat359

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2010
Dont forget the platers that are inside the hard drives. Most these days are about 3 1/2" in Dia. They are platinium plated. Usually the inside is aluminium. These can be processed to separate the "Pt" . If you dont have access to the chems , they can be costly...Rick

goldsilverpro

May 31, 2007
Dont forget the platers that are inside the hard drives. Most these days are about 3 1/2" in Dia. They are platinium plated. Usually the inside is aluminium. These can be processed to separate the "Pt" . If you dont have access to the chems , they can be costly...Rick

This is a controversial topic and there's a lot of BS on the internet. Listings on Ebay are probably the worst source of truthful information on the planet. Although many hard drive disks contain Pt, the amount is very small (a few atoms thick). According to this source (the only one I could find that seems even remotely reliable), on Wiki Answers, the Pt value is about $.10 per disk. However, this is based on the magnetic layer being 50% Pt. Other sources say this layer is only 12% Pt and this would reduce the Pt value to about $.02/disk. The common method used is to first dissolve the aluminum base, which would surely cost much more than $.02-$.10/disk. A number of knowledgeable people on goldrefiningforum.com have attempted to recover the Pt and none have been successful. Although there is a lot of hype on the subject, I have yet to hear of anyone successfully recovering Pt from hard drive disks.

Don't waste any time or money pursuing this. Don't listen to anyone that says you can profit from this. You can't!!!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_platinum_in_a_hard_drive

mj74

Mar 15, 2010
I have some of these that don't have gold fingers,but silver. Is it really silver or maybe white gold? :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread