Concentric vs. Widescan coils???

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not at home on my puter so I can't attach a pic of the coverage of both coils. The concentric's field is like a inverted cone going down in the ground with the bottom of the field near 2 inches dia. Widescan coils are more like a larger half a circle and cover more area at the bottom so overlapping isn't as important.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I really like that 8" stock coil on the Silver Umax. That thing is super at trash separation. I don't know if a smaller coil would help much, honestly. I use the 5.75" concentric on my Tejon and love it, but that's because I'm not a huge fan of the 9x8 elliptical. That 8" stock coil pinpoints excellent. I understand the widescan coil doesn't pinpoint as well - and with no dedicated pinpoint button on the Silver Umax, it may be difficult to use - in my opinion.

Ian

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to use a wide scan on my detector. I cover more area faster. The concentric is better in trahsy areas or when targets are close together, you simply raise the coil to get separation.

Ed D.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
DD Coil & Mono

Attachments

• dd coil.gif
    dd coil.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 2,181
  • mono coil.gif
    mono coil.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 2,205

findit

Jul 1, 2007
keep in mind also in mild soil the concentric goes deeper for sure. concentric deeper, better discrimination.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, concentric coil does go deeper, but your only covering a few inches at a time at the most at the deep end and you have to overlap the coil swing a lot to get any coverage. If your hunting a rich area loaded with targets and or trash, concentric is way to go, if you have a large area to cover, wide scan Double D is way to go.

I use my WOT a lot and I am still pulling up deep targets........

Good luck and good hunting

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
Dixie Digger said:
DD Coil & Mono

ddprof.gif (6524 bytes)

The benefit of using a DD coil is that if it is quieter and handles ground mineralization better. The penetration profile of a DD coil is such that you do not need to overlap your swings as much. But it does not go as deep as a Mono Coil of equal size, it is not as sensitive to small gold as a mono coil, and it is harder to pinpoint with. In most areas of places gold in the Untied States, a mono coil will handle the mineralization without too much noise.

The benefit of using a Mono coil is that it goes deeper than a DD coil of an equal size. However, Mono coils can be somewhat noisier in heavily mineralized ground and they will not allow your machine to use it's discrimination abilities. It is best used in the "all metal" mode.
A Mono coil is more sensitive to small gold and is easier to pinpoint with. Most seasoned prospectors in the United States prefer mono coils over DD's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread