Conductive Question

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15-16 I get alot of brass type objects, I use park 2 every were... copper objects 25-26 sometimes a little higher...

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Much depends on the metallurgical make up of the "copper" alloy and the amount of corrosion/deterioration. High copper content, such as a wheat penny, is indeed a high conductor. I've dug highly corroded "copper" that rang up just the same as you've experienced.

Just the view from my foxhole...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The conductivity of the item is not the only factor in the machine assigning a numerical value to it. The size and shape will also play a part, along with the amount and type of corrosion, as Dan mentioned.

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone!... yes, as Dan said, when I said "copper" I meant copper/brass/etc.
At what VDI does the Minelab recipe for higher conductors (field/Park 1) start to dominate? If I'm trying to hunt 15-16 at their deepest, should I be using park/field 2 vs park/field 1?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Park/Field 2 will tend to give stronger target signals for small targets and targets that ring up around 15/16 that might otherwise be iffy targets in Park/Field 1, but so many factors come into play that it is hard to make an absolute determination. There is so much overlap that it is impossible to say when Park 1 might dominate over Park 2 for mid-conductors so go with whatever is bagging you the most targets that you are interested in. One factor to consider is that lower frequencies tend to penetrate deeper into the ground than higher frequencies so that is why higher conductors like silver coins which are detected better by lower frequencies tend to be recovered at greater depths than brass buttons which are detected better by higher frequencies. But again there are no absolutes, so experimentation is key and simply going with the mode that seems to be working best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you, V! By chance, are you a Yankees fan?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, V! By chance, are you a Yankees fan?

Not since they kicked my Padres' butt back in the '98 Series. Since then I adopted the Nationals when they started in DC and no longer had to travel all the way to Baltimore for a baseball fix.

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not since they kicked my Padres' butt back in the '98 Series. Since then I adopted the Nationals when they started in DC and no longer had to travel all the way to Baltimore for a baseball fix.
:laughing7: Good...I was confused by your tag quote. I have to admit, as a Sawx fan, I'm glad you're not a member of the evil empire. :hello2: Congrats on your year! My NL team is the Mets but don't mind the Nationals.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Good...I was confused by your tag quote. I have to admit, as a Sawx fan, I'm glad you're not a member of the evil empire. :hello2: Congrats on your year! My NL team is the Mets but don't mind the Nationals.

Oh, I get it, Yogi Berra "future" quote. Actually, I took that from a Tom Petty song. I guess it's also the title to some over the top Meatloaf song.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey, no reason to give up on my Padres! If we ever get this season started, I think they're going to surprise a few people. Yeah, that '98 series was tough to swallow. We got hosed on a couple of calls that sealed our fate.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, no reason to give up on my Padres! If we ever get this season started, I think they're going to surprise a few people. Yeah, that '98 series was tough to swallow. We got hosed on a couple of calls that sealed our fate.

I still root for the Pads when they come into town to play the Nats and catch them if they are playing on my occasional visits to SD.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Padres almost became the Washington Padres back in 1974. I have the baseball cards to prove it! :laughing7:. Whenever you get back here, give me a call if you want to get out and detect. :icon_thumright:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bet, Cuda. I'll do that. Lived in SD until I graduated HS. I remember the year the Padres broke .500 for the season first time ever, Randy Jones' Cy Young, Dave Winfield, Tony Gwynn, '84 series, saw Hoffman get his 500th save in person, Jerry Coleman...good times, but mostly frustration. Lol.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have some wonderful memories at the ball park also. Probably the best was the final game of the season when Tony Gwynn retired. I was able shake his hand and thank him for all the enjoyment he provided during his career. A true class act was Mr. Padre. The bonus that night was Ricky Henderson getting his 3000th hit on his final at bat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread