Confederate nose cast 3 ring minie ball

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this to be a confederate nose cast 3 ring minie ball?
Found in Maryland at Cavalry battle this past week.
493 grains, L-.940, D-.566

TheCannonballGuy gave a detailed excerpt in 2017 post explains the confederates were only ones to nose cast bullets other than Williams Cleaner.

AFE1C4A1-E73C-4DE9-8299-76B3462B4DDA.jpeg 78214263-3E00-4BE9-B60B-58D882C4503D.jpeg 1C85A026-9B83-406C-89D2-39FA950B4435.jpeg FBEEAB90-8022-41CC-9899-1B21928211C9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to disappoint you, but... no, your find is note a nose-cast Minie bullet. What you see on it is the impression of the ramrod's mouth. Usually the ramrod does not make an impression on the bullet during ramming. But when the gunbarrel has become "fouled" with powder-ash from repeated firing without cleaning, the fouling can make it very difficult to push the bullet down into the bore. When that happened, during a daylong battle, civil war soldiers' diaries mention having to pound on the ramrod's end with a rock to get the bullet loaded down the barrel.

Your bullet definitely has been rammed and fired... the base-view photo shows its base rim expanded outward into gunbarrel with three wide rifling-grooves (most likely a yankee Springfield).

A nose-cast bullet almost always shows either a flat tip (like you see on a Williams Cleaner), OR flat where the casting-sprue was cut off (like in the photo below), OR a projecting casting-sprue (like in the other photo below). All Gardner minies were nose-cast. You can see the uncut casting-sprue on the photo below showing "unfinished" Gardner bullets, as they looked when they came out of the mold.

Attachments

• minie_Gardner_UNISSUED_excavated_58caliber_sideview_photobyRandHundley_f839_1.jpg
    minie_Gardner_UNISSUED_excavated_58caliber_sideview_photobyRandHundley_f839_1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 206
  • minie_cap-nose_nosecast_uncut-sprue_CS_58-caliber_mm383variant_photobyHenrique_296-1.jpg
    minie_cap-nose_nosecast_uncut-sprue_CS_58-caliber_mm383variant_photobyHenrique_296-1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 189
  • minie_nose-cast_CS_snipped-sprue_58-caliber_mm403_photobyHenrique_293-1.jpg
    minie_nose-cast_CS_snipped-sprue_58-caliber_mm403_photobyHenrique_293-1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 233
OP
OP
cmthunder

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the correction I wish I had half your knowledge. You are amazing the Civil War Columbo!
Thanks again for such a detailed explanation.
Always appreciate your opinion and facts.
Hope your well!
Chuck

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cmthunder wrote:
> Thank you for the correction I wish I had half your knowledge.

My knowledge comes from doing this sort of thing for 47 years. If you keep on asking questions here in the T-Net forums, and reading the correct answers to other diggers' relic-ID questions, you can achieve the level of relic-knowledge I'm currently at.

Trust me, I am proof that a high IQ is not required. It's just that I've been paying attention whenever somebody kindly put the knowledge in front of me.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jakesm89 and Davers, I somehow missed seeing your replies when you posted them back in July. Yes, that it a nose-cast Confederate bullet. Lots of people incorrectly think that if a Minie-bullet has 3 body-grooves, it's automatically a yankee-made bullet. But in reality, the Confederates also made 3-groove Minies, and did so by the millions. Some examples are the 3-groove Augusta Arsenal teat-base (a.k.a. "Georgia Troops") minies, and the 1864-65 Confederate "imitation" of the typical yankee 3-groove minie, which have been found in VAST quantities in the Petersburg Siege trenches. In my opinion, that is what is shown in Jakesm89's photo.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the correction I wish I had half your knowledge. You are amazing the Civil War Columbo!
Thanks again for such a detailed explanation.
Always appreciate your opinion and facts.
Hope your well!
Chuck
I did have half of TheCannonballGuy's knowledge but have managed to misplace most of it!👴

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions