CTdirtfishing

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2011
Fairfield, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a few items I pulled up in Fairfield, CT over the weekend. Mini-balls found at 1814 Powder house behind Tomlinson middle school. Silver half from 1918 found by well on historic property from 1784 along with 1894 penny and a bunch of unknown items. ill post more, maybe somebody can tell me what the items are.
Cheers,
Todd

Attachments

• metal.jpg
    metal.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 559
  • metal 1.jpg
    metal 1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 533
  • metal 2.jpg
    metal 2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 469
  • metal 3.jpg
    metal 3.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 484

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Definately welcome to TNet, CTdirtfishing! Those are GREAT finds, especially the 1918 half. Could you maybe post a photo of the other side, too? From what I can see, that half would grade VF or maybe XF, depending on what the other side shows.

BTW, the only way coins from the ground should be cleaned, is with Q-tips (extra fluffy ones if available) and acetone. Wipe the acetone-soaked tip clockwise around all coin surfaces. If the tip gets discolored, use the other side.

Acetone removes ONLY organic material from the coin, and does not affect patina or toning.

I agree with Mackaydon: you have two visible square nails, which date from 1890 or ealier.

OP
OP
CTdirtfishing

CTdirtfishing

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2011
Fairfield, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Mackaydon and Tuberale for your insight, I appreciate it. very interesting stuff. Ill take and upload another photo of the reverse on the silver half dollar anc some of my latest finds, nothing to write home about but still pretty cool.
-Todd

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
CTdirtfishing,

Years ago our family lived in Fairfield..across the wooded area next to Mckinnley School-- I think the school is on Thompson. We used the wooded area as a playground and used to cut thru it to get to school. There were about 8 kids in our neighborhood that used the woods to play. We lived on Beacon Square and our family left Fairfield in 1958, moving to Houston. By the recent satelite views the school is still there as is the wooded area to the right of the schoolgrounds ( facing the front of the school) We used to also have some summer school activities and play on the side of the school in the grass area...

That might be a good place to find older coins. If you get a chance to search around there could you post some pics??

Robbie

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WTG on the finds CTdirtfishing..... :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread