Conquistador armor . . .

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
In the Natural History Museum in Mesa, there is a piece of conquistador armor that was stated to have been found somewhere in the mountains south (I think they said "20 miles south of here"). What has been running though my mind is, that it is curious that only one piece was found . . . it just seems strange that the wearer would throw off the back piece, and not the front piece. So I am left with wondering if perhaps what really happened is that they buried some armor, to prevent it from falling into the hands of hostiles, but forgot one piece, and for that reason it was not buried, and was later found. I would assume they would part with their armor either because it was to hot to wear it, or possibly because the wearer was killed.

Armor01.jpg Armor02.jpg

This is some tantalizing thoughts, so I have to wonder if perhaps anyone has any idea where this armor was found, who found it, or what expedition it came from, along with possibly the expedition route . . . . interesting thoughts to say the least . .

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its also possible that Native Americans took some of the armor and wore it.

The two most famous who did that were Chief Iron Shirt (wore Spanish Chain Mail Shirt) and Chief Iron Jacket.

Mike

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
More than likely this is what they found. Would bet money there is more out there...

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, Skywola! Thanks for sharing!

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may of traded with the natives, once the natives had it the stories/imagination is endless (Buried, fought in war with it, traded with other tribes etc.). I would do some research a little and find the area where they found the armor and md the hole area....GL/HH

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Its also possible that Native Americans took some of the armor and wore it.

The two most famous who did that were Chief Iron Shirt (wore Spanish Chain Mail Shirt) and Chief Iron Jacket.

It is likely that if this were the case, they would have taken this piece too . . . . no doubt the Indians would have considered any piece to be rare and precious.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is likely that if this were the case, they would have taken this piece too . . . . no doubt the Indians would have considered any piece to be rare and precious.

Not necessarily. Chief Iron Jacket only wore a breastplate.

Mike

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was probably made into arrowheads..

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Not necessarily. Chief Iron Jacket only wore a breastplate.
Mike

Well, If you were to run across something like this, would you leave it in the desert? The Indians were not stupid . . . . perhaps ignorant at times, but I don't think they would leave it laying there at a time when metals were precious, and armor was rare. A back plate could also be worn as a front plate.

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once heard of an ICE Agent working on the Tohono Reservation south of Casa Grande who found a breastplate in a cave.
This may have been the one he found.

Absurd-Ginger

Jun 3, 2015
Gilbert
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have heard they found 4 full suits of spanish armor at the south side of miners needle buried only 3 feet deep in the 70's -80's Not at all sure if the story can be confirmed.

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I hear a lot of stories about things that have been found, but google for info and find nothing. I am not sure if it is just that the finds do not make the news, or the internet, or they are just stories. I suppose the best way to find out would be to visit all the museums in the area and inquire. That said, given the sheer number of treasure stories that abound, you do have to wonder just how many of them are based on just rumor or outright fabricated. These types of stories are great for the tourism industry.
I thought about pursuing some of these tales, like the Peralta stones tale, but I sometimes think that you have just as much chance finding something haphazardly than you do of finding something based on the stories that are usually based on very slim and abstract details and very little provable fact.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am pretty certain that the front was taken by a buxom apache maiden

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
She would have to sit on it first, to re-shape it for the proper fit.

Humor aside, if you have not seen this piece of armor, it is impressive. The workmanship is outstanding for the era.

Last edited:

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
A piece of metal like that in the middle of the summer collecting heat would burn anybody for sure....when the temp outside hits 120° that metal shirt would be painfully hot......never know why some one would discard....nice find....db

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to be cautious of the provenance put on local museum acquisitions, because many times I have seen reproductions that the docent or guide tell a story.....often their own story....about. If authentic, they sometimes do fabricate a story line, it makes the museum tour a bit more interesting. I hope that armour is not one of those items.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That brings up a question. What did the Spanish do with their dead while they were looking for the cities of gold. Have to be some graves out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread