🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Conquistador / Spanish Spear Point?

ExploringAZ

Oct 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this roughly 5-6 years ago on my family's property in Southern Arizona. My initial thought upon finding it was an old knife with the handle missing. However after doing some poking around I believe it to be Conquistador / Spanish. I've searched heavily online looking for an identification guide of sorts but am having a tough time finding examples that are close to this one. Ideally, I'd like to know if I am making the proper assumption and the possible the age range. 15th-18th century? I've found some similar rat tail styles but nothing exact as of yet. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• foto_no_exif.jpg
    foto_no_exif.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 649
  • foto_no_exif(4).jpg
    foto_no_exif(4).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 245
  • foto_no_exif(3).jpg
    foto_no_exif(3).jpg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 214
  • foto_no_exif(2).jpg
    foto_no_exif(2).jpg
    854.5 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this roughly 5-6 years ago on my family's property in Southern Arizona. My initial thought upon finding it was an old knife with the handle missing. However after doing some poking around I believe it to be Conquistador / Spanish. I've searched heavily online looking for an identification guide of sorts but am having a tough time finding examples that are close to this one. Ideally, I'd like to know the age range. 15th-17th century? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Looks pretty well made. I’m be following this one. I hope it checks out for you.

Upvote 5

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look like the Spanish spear points I have seen, looks more like a knife.

Take it to a museum in Tucson.

Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
E

ExploringAZ

Oct 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks pretty well made. I’m be following this one. I hope it checks out for you.
Thanks! I'd just like to place it even if my assumption is incorrect.
Welcome to Tnet!
Thank you!
Doesn't look like the Spanish spear points I have seen, looks more like a knife.

Take it to a museum in Tucson.
Yeah I agree it does not look like the typical lance points with the conical socketing shafts. However I've seen a few similar rat tail styles labeled as Spanish in origin (though their assumptions could be incorrect also).

Any museums that you would suggest? I've never taken any items in. What is that typically like?

Upvote 4

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a few gold prospectors, metal detecting for gold nuggets in Arizona, dig up sometimes metal Indian points. They learned how to turn barrel bands into points for their arrows.

Upvote 7

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the side view pic, probably is what you have there, a metal arrow or spear point. They used a cold chisel to cut (hot?) must have learned from the white blacksmith.

Last edited:
Upvote 3
OP
OP
E

ExploringAZ

Oct 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a few gold prospectors, metal detecting for gold nuggets in Arizona, dig up sometimes metal Indian points. They learned how to turn barrel bands into points for their arrows.
Yes I've seen these and am an avid collector of NA items. Though I have not found any metal points online that appear similar made out of barrel hoops. The bottom (rat tail aspect) looks very much like an old file. Assume it was before it was repurposed. Just wish I knew which culture and time frame hence my post!

Thanks for your feedback!

Upvote 3

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I'd just like to place it even if my assumption is incorrect.

Thank you!

Yeah I agree it does not look like the typical lance points with the conical socketing shafts. However I've seen a few similar rat tail styles labeled as Spanish in origin (though their assumptions could be incorrect also).

Any museums that you would suggest? I've never taken any items in. What is that typically like?
Here is a link to some in Southern Az.

Upvote 5

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your point does resemple the ones made for trade with Apache, made by Spanish. Except where it would mount to spear or arrow, is longer as if meant for a knife handle. I do have a set of palette knives made for painting. A couple are shaped exactly like your spear point. Maybe we should flip a coin. Old painter's knife is now a possibility.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread