Considering a new pinpointer what do you recommned?

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK friends, I have the black Garrett pinpointer and I am interested in getting a waterproof version. So, should I just buy the Carrot by Garrett or another brand. Interested in Minelab yellow and black pinpointer. I would be interested in hearing your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If my Sunday FX-1 ever gives out I would probably go with a Garrett Carrot. The Sunray is attached to my Fisher and is basically a 1" coil on the end of a wand - so I can use the TDI and audio (earphones) off the detector (my F-75). But they are sadly unobtanium now (Sunday only makes headphones). They were not cheap but IMHO worth it. No separate batteries, no chance of loss, accurate and always on hand.

I have an F-Pulse that came "free" in the F-75 box and it seems too work fine for me. I used it for some time before I got the Sunray and still lug it along. It's light and easy to use and lets you know when you are within 3/4" of a coin sized target. No complaints.

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Carrot...:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: About the only thing I've noticed with the Garrett Carrot is it gets a little bit "Goofie" when the battery starts getting really low after heavy use...You'll know it when it happens...after you go through a battery or two...:laughing7: Does some really weird stuff...:laughing7: :laughing7:

Got-Good-Tones

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, for a water-proof, very sensitive pinpointer, try the Nokta Makro pointer.
It has two orange coil covers, many sensitivity settings, vibrate only,
sound only, and vibrate/sound modes. It's real easy on battery use.
All the buttons are on the handle end of the probe, where the least amount
of dirt and slime can get at it...which some folks see this as a negative feature,
but you would get used to it. Made in Turkey.
I have had two Garrett black pointers, but the buttons gave out fast, and moisture
and grit entered and corroded things, to where they didn't work....

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP DÄ“us, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XP MI-6 is extremely well made and you can buy parts for it.

I previously liked the old White's pinpointer I had until the vibrating feature failed. I took it apart but was unable to repair or replace the tiny electric motor that drove the eccentric weight. If the vibrating feature wears out on the MI-6, you can buy a new vibrate mechanism for under eight bucks.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett Carrot of Minelab Pro-Find 35.

I've used both and they work about the same in my opinion. The biggest difference in my book is one button versus 3 button design. The Carrot's single button mode changing is convenient b/c you don't have to move your thumb to retune. But the Minelab's 3 button design is more intuitive.

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As an avid Minelab fan; stay the hell away from the Minelab Pro-Find series (I have the 15):

-The button sucks
-The speaker sucks (clogs super easy with mud)
-It's not loud enough
-It doesn't vibrate

I'd seriously rather have a cheap Chinese Garrett knock-off than that thing.

+1 to Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - Can't go wrong with it.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a few cheap ones and a Whites pp II. Finally got a Garrett Carrot. Not disappointed.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrot by Garrett.

I lost mine and bought another, so now have 2. No problem, one stays on the ATV.

Single button, intuitive (even for me), waterproof, adjustable range in a jiffy, it just works. Always.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like my Nokta pointer. It is waterproof and comes with a ton of great accessories.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an avid Minelab fan; stay the hell away from the Minelab Pro-Find series (I have the 15):

-The button sucks
-The speaker sucks (clogs super easy with mud)
-It's not loud enough
-It doesn't vibrate

I'd seriously rather have a cheap Chinese Garrett knock-off than that thing.

Just so others don't get the wrong idea.......the Minelab Pro Find 35 IS waterproof (to 10 feet) and it does vibrate. For that reason and price, I would recommend it over the Pro Find 15 also.

OP
OP
jamest64

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, update, I bought a new minelab equinox 800 and got the whole package, shovel, bag, hat you know. So the Pinpointer was a Minelab 35 waterproof pp. Used it twice. Both times it starting acting up. It beeped uncontrollably. Brought it back, they gave me another. It worked great for about 20 minutes in the mud. Then it started beeping unnecessarily, then started turning off by itself. Nothing worse that looking in a hole and realizing your pinpointer is off. Thought it was me. Carefully tried again, changed batteries, tightened and loosened cap....nothing improved. Brought it back. Shopkeeper gave me 2 choices. Garrett Carrot or Whites TRX. Took the TRX. Love it. Works fine. Like many of the features. And would recomment the TRX to anyone buying a pinpointer.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had 3 or 4 of the original black Garrett pin pointers - they were very good - but the on - off buttons fell out on a few of them.

The newer Orange - AT Pro Pointer is much better - I have had two of them since they came out - work great - no problems.
The AT Pro Pointer "Garrett Carrot" has a much better on - off button - multiple settings and is waterproof.
Maybe it's just me - but I like the fact that my pin pointer is not linked to my detector.
You can't go wrong with one of these pin pointers !

Good Hunting !

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have cycled thru a few over the years. Black garret, carrot, trx bullseye, china carrot, nokta pointer, and the trx.
They all have performed well. I gotta say, thru it all. The trx is likely my go to,for a pinpointer. I like the fact, its just the tip that sounds off. Alot of butting heads on the waterproofness, so just for my sake, wrapped surgical tape over the speaker hole, and greased both the light housing, button, and cap. It goes alot deeper than the advertised 10 ft. Ive had mine to 25ft roughly, only once tho. Was taking a scuba class atbthe time

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
All of the Garrett's can be detuned for just the tip that detects very simply by pushing the button. It is amazing to me that so many folks that already own a Garrett don't know this.
Can the trx be tuned to do what the carrot does or is it ONLY the tip? If so, wouldn't the Garrett be superior? Is the trx cheaper?

OP
OP
jamest64

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TRX is more i believe. about 20 bucks. 145 ish I believe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread