jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scored another permission, I arrived and owner was seating in the front porch and started to metal detect and the owner followed every step and I started to find wheatys and I was showing them to the owner and he would at look them and then put in his pocket. Then I got a 12-46 signal and out pops out a silver dime Rosie I tried put it my pouch but owner saw it and pick and kept it . I was able to take photos , but the owner Kept all the finds . I never execpted that . 20170423_114305.jpg 20170423_111852.jpg 20170423_103229.jpg 20170423_103309.jpg 20170423_111846.jpg 20170423_114317.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 9

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup I was thinking well he kept one coin that's cool , he can the the wheatys I'll keep the silver that was my plan but he pocketed my silver I pack it and left. All other permission I did give them one of the my finds to show good Faith. It's all cool I learned a lesson today I'll find more silver and wheatys.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mostly do farm fields, there is no difference in approach.

Once I gain permission, that is the last time I see them usually. Certainly not standing over me. Besides, your not gonna find any AngloSaxon gold hoardes over here and these wealthy large property owners couldnt care less about some colonial relics or silver coins.

ShaunMoore

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2017
boonville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find that dime next to a sidewalk? Just looks like it....if so, and it was on the roadside...it was not his to take! Just checking.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once I gain permission, that is the last time I see them usually. Certainly not standing over me. Besides, your not gonna find any AngloSaxon gold hoardes over here and these wealthy large property owners couldnt care less about some colonial relics or silver coins.
Still makes no difference, the approach is the same. I tell them they see all. That is what happens. Whatever the value.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So reading this again. Its fine as long as they don't see you. So, out of sight, out of mind.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So reading this again. Its fine as long as they don't see you. So, out of sight, out of mind.

I dont even know where a lot of them live. I usually call them or see them at their place of business and they say go ahead. Thats it. I did have one tell me to let him know if I found any gold bars. I have no problem turning over any of my finds if they showed up in the field and asked. Thats not why I detect

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm happy I've never encountered this problem before. But it's kinda the reason i bring my backup detector. If the owner seems on the fence about giving permission or shows interest in detecting it himself I offer my backup detector and we can search together.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how does the verbal contract talks go to get you to keep the best find ? :-)

Good question. There is always the old proven standby method of "Hey let me see that real quick" and run like the wind. :laughing9:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that sucks the owner kept it all, bet it was at least a tad fun digging them. Maybe that can be a selling tool to score the next permission. Alot of people really can care less about what we find. This doesn't happen all that much

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont even know where a lot of them live. I usually call them or see them at their place of business and they say go ahead. Thats it. I did have one tell me to let him know if I found any gold bars. I have no problem turning over any of my finds if they showed up in the field and asked. Thats not why I detect
Not a great excuse. We get their full contact details prior to searching, just in case. Once again, sounds like you hope they never turn up & ask questions, which of course many will not. Although our relationships are so good, some do turn up & see how we are getting on, but not to check on our honesty.

So why do you detect? To keep everything you find on others land?

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a great excuse. We get their full contact details prior to searching, just in case. Once again, sounds like you hope they never turn up & ask questions, which of course many will not. Although our relationships are so good, some do turn up & see how we are getting on, but not to check on our honesty.

So why do you detect? To keep everything you find on others land?

The minute others can make me feel guilty about keeping everything I find off of others land where I gained permission is when I stop detecting

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting permissions for a while and this is the first time the owner was with me step by step , the others said have fun or good luck.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The minute others can make me feel guilty about keeping everything I find off of others land where I gained permission is when I stop detecting
Problem is your missing my point. I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty. I'm expressing a different way. Your actually missing out on a great part of our hobby. Your not spreading the passion of the finds & more importantly the History of their finds & where they came from. Some are not interested at all but most enjoy our meetings. This not only builds relationships but if you do farms it builds land for you without door knocking. Good word travels as fast as bad word. Before you know it you have more land than an Army of detectorist can cope with.All it took was the sharing of a few finds that you already have doubles of, because you have an agreement that your a collector & you have first refusal. Simple & effective & only a small sacrifice.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting permissions for a while and this is the first time the owner was with me step by step , the others said have fun or good luck.
Most may say 'have fun' or good luck' but like you found out some are interested. How would you have felt if that day he had grabbed the best find you have ever had? (I know I would cry)
All you need in future is to not only ask permission but to say; 'I would like to keep everything I find, is that OK?' If they say yes, game on. If they say No, then the negotiation begins or you walk away. (This approach will stop any future issues, I take it one step further, but I know, that's a step too far for most).
I only trying to help you keep more finds.

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happened to me recently, a neighbor of my nephew I was visiting...nephew says "he's a great guy, no problem"....well..problem-he said he detected his place prior, with NO good finds, not even a single coin, so j asked him if I could try...he hem-hawed for a few awkward moments and blurted out "you can look, but I get everything"...as furious/perplexed as i was, I kept my composure and thanked him and shook his hand and said my goodbyes. Looking back, it was a beautiful day, prime, old real estate (1880's), I should have at least taken a look. Nothing to lose, i already have a stack of dug silver and plenty crusty relics. On the other hand, I could've dug every iron signal and said "here ya go!"...my nephew was the most confused, said he's a great guy and I explained to him about greed and how it changes people...I myself might have acted greedy...and I will think differently moving forward...Ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread