Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw in another thread that somebody recommended a factory upgrade for a CZ20 to the CZ21. I personally would not recommend that unless you wear out rubber on the pin point button.

I have a CZ20 that I had to replace the rubber button a few times. I was rather hard on it and I bet if I was more gentle that it would have lasted a great deal longer. I finally did the upgrade and find the copper button is more difficult to toggle "pinpoint on and pinpoint off", especially when wearing gloves in the water. The copper button is lasting me a lot longer than the rubber button, but if you don't have to replace it, my advise is don't. I did not notice any other increase or decrease in overall detector performance with the modification.

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can pinpoint faster without the gold button - hate the gold button - wish they would change it to an all metal to "zero" ID mode switch
Id get more use out of it - I get target 90% of the time on the first scoop - even some of the deeper ones

I saw in another thread that somebody recommended a factory upgrade for a CZ20 to the CZ21. I personally would not recommend that unless you wear out rubber on the pin point button.

I have a CZ20 that I had to replace the rubber button a few times. I was rather hard on it and I bet if I was more gentle that it would have lasted a great deal longer. I finally did the upgrade and find the copper button is more difficult to toggle "pinpoint on and pinpoint off", especially when wearing gloves in the water. The copper button is lasting me a lot longer than the rubber button, but if you don't have to replace it, my advise is don't. I did not notice any other increase or decrease in overall detector performance with the modification.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't like the button at first but I got used to it and now it isn't an issue...I put the little red clicker button sticker on and that made it easier...I don't have the red button on now and don't need it...I usually get my target on the first or second scoop but if I don't, I can pinpoint and the target comes out on the next scoop...I love the pin point option on my CZ21.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mostly stopped using pinpoint unless I am having big trouble finding a deep target. What is the sticker? Does that make the button more sensitive? With the CZ20, I always pinpointed and wore out the rubber.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly stopped using pinpoint unless I am having big trouble finding a deep target. What is the sticker? Does that make the button more sensitive? With the CZ20, I always pinpointed and wore out the rubber.
Its just a little stick on button that lets you feel a click...it doesn't do anything, just lets you feel like your clicking something on and off...since the gold button has no movement at all, it can be weird to get used to...two of the red stick on buttons came with my CZ21 with an explanation of what they were.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought one of the first 21s and I guess they did not have the red stick until later. Should I try to order one or forget it?

thinkin2

Mar 30, 2007
James Island, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
I wouldn't bother ordering them. They came with mine but I've never used them. I don't see a problem with the pinpoint switch. It's just a gentle tap on the center. With gloves on I can see where it's maybe a little tougher. I only use mine sometimes because it makes it easier with the 10.5" coil.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
What about a PP toggle on the handle for the CZ20/21? Or one where you can hunt in AM then switch to disc instead of using the knob..

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about a PP toggle on the handle for the CZ20/21? Or one where you can hunt in AM then switch to disc instead of using the knob..

That would be a great mod OBN! Hint hint!

thinkin2

Mar 30, 2007
James Island, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
I wouldn't bother ordering them. They came with mine but I've never used them. I don't see a problem with the pinpoint switch. It's just a gentle tap on the center. With gloves on I can see where it's maybe a little tougher. I only use mine sometimes because it makes it easier with the 10.5" coil.

This would be the perfect mod to an otherwise perfect detector. Actually I'm surprised Fisher hasn't already done this. It's the reason I hunt in disc at 0 instead of autotune most of the time. One hand on the detector grip and one on the scoop makes it too much trouble to keep trying to fiddle with the knob. But autotune is where I would like to hunt most of the time. Great question/topic to bring up.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they would just repurpose the gold pinpoint button to make it a toggle between Autotune/Disc it would not interfere with waterproofness. Adding an external mod would definitely cause problems with trying to use it diving.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adding a PLUG like a CTX one where you could unplug the PPer would be a bit more costly..... but could solve the dive issue. A lot more hunters would hunt in PP if that was available. You might be able to play a little more with the ground and sensitivity as well. Im not sure id upgrade an older model CZ20 with the metal handle until i had to. They can be pretty hot machines.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew, that may work, but who uses pinpoint on the cz? Going back to Autotune is about as good except that machine will retune threshold, but usually not a problem on the beach or diving to give the coil a little wiggle to keep threshold going.

NEBeachcomber

Jan 23, 2006
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, CZ6a, CZ21
Minelab Sovereign GT

The way I see it... if you put a switch on the handle of your CZ20/21 you will lose the option of hip mounting. (If you hip mount?)

NEBeachcomber

Jan 23, 2006
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, CZ6a, CZ21
Minelab Sovereign GT
If they would just repurpose the gold pinpoint button to make it a toggle between Autotune/Disc it would not interfere with waterproofness. Adding an external mod would definitely cause problems with trying to use it diving.

Since the pinpoint button of the CZ-21 is an off/on switch... Why not just move the pinpoint button of the CZ-21 up to the area where the two LED's were located on the older CZ20. Then install a similar push button to be used as an autotune/discrimination button where the pin point button is presently located on the CZ-21 now?

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the pin point on my CZ21 with 101/2 inch coil...I wish there was another button beside the pinpoint that switched from autotune to disc because I hunt in auto and switch to disc to i.d. the target.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lookingdown..... that may have been what Joe was talking about instead of a PP switch. Its a bit of a pain playing with that knob..... just like on the Xcal. There are big advantages to having that switch on the Xcal, id think the same would be true on the CZ. Kelleyco does the PP switches for the Xcal and will work on ones with them, wonder what kind of problem Fisher would give you if you wanted to have a repair done?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the pin point on my CZ21 with 101/2 inch coil...I wish there was another button beside the pinpoint that switched from autotune to disc because I hunt in auto and switch to disc to i.d. the target.

Looking down, yes I do the same as far as Autotune to disc to check targets. I usually return right back to Autotune with is the same as pinpoint mode but is a motion all metal mode vs the non-motion all metal of pinpoint. I have the 8" coil I guess with the 10.5 it makes it easier to pp.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking down, yes I do the same as far as Autotune to disc to check targets. I usually return right back to Autotune with is the same as pinpoint mode but is a motion all metal mode vs the non-motion all metal of pinpoint. I have the 8" coil I guess with the 10.5 it makes it easier to pp.
Yeah, I notice that Im starting to use the pin point less and less.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never felt the need to use the PP button on my CZ20. To protect the rubber button I smeared silicone sealant on the rubber. Never a problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread