Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone seems to have a lil secret when it comes to cooking...

I'm gonna share a few of mine, I want you to do the same.

Spaghetti Sauce -

My mom always added sugar to her spaghetti sauce to take the tomato sauce bitterness away...my mother-in-law used grape jelly instead of sugar. I found something even better and it was used by a guy who I thought his sauce was one of the best...he used brown sugar, now that's what I use.

I always add a lil wine to give it the extra taste and a few tablespoons of Italian Olive Salad (used in making muffuletta sandwiches)

To keep the spaghetti from sticking, after draining I toss it with olive oil.

I make my own garlic bread spread...using margarine, garlic powder with parsley and Parmesan/Romano cheese.

The spaghetti is done when 1 strand is thrown against the wall, if it sticks..it's done. ;D

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
That's cool RR.I've never eaten off the wall before.Do you use a little paint brush to 'paint' the sauce on?You can just put your parmesian on a piece of paper and blow it on. How much of that wine do you drink while you fix this meal? ;D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
salt water will boil faster then reg water add a few "hits" of salt to the water
it will boil faster salt conducts the heat faster ;)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
When boiling pasta .....put a teaspoon of margerine in the water and it will never boil over.

Dip your bacon in ice water before frying and it wont curl up.

Instead of sugar in my coffee I use brown sugar. If you like sugar and milk ,then just open a can of sweetened condensed milk and put a teaspoon of it in instead .

If a recipe calls for Cream of Tarter and you dont have any...substitute Baking powder instead...If you find it in recipes for cookies or cakes, chances are they're old recipes, since the combination of cream of tartar and baking soda was the precursor to modern baking powder.Eliminate both and use baking powder instead.

If you make lemonaide from a mix...add a little water to the mix and boil the mix before adding full requred amount of water. Make a much better drink.

Martha Stewart: Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips.
Gypsy: Just suck the ice cream out of the bottom of the cone, for pete’s sake. You’re probably lying on the couch with your feet up eating it anyway.

Martha Stewart: To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.
Gypsy: Buy Hungry Jack mashed potato mix and keep it in the pantry for up to a year.

Martha Stewart: When a recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead of flour and there won’t be any white mess on the outside of the cake.
Gypsy: Go to the bakery. They’ll even decorate it for you.

Martha Stewart: If you accidentally over salt a dish while it’s still cooking, drop in a peeled potato and it will absorb the excess for an instant “fix me up.”
Gypsy:If you over salt a dish while you are cooking, that’s too darn bad. I made it and you will eat it.

Martha Stewart: Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting it in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks.
Gypsy: Celery? Never heard of the stuff.

Martha Stewart: Brush some beaten egg white over a piecrust before baking to yield a beautiful glossy finish.
Gypsy: The Mrs. Smith frozen pie directions do not include brushing egg whites over the crust, so I just don’t do it.

Martha Stewart: Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.
Gypsy: Take a lime, cut it in half and mix it with tequila, etc., chill and drink. You might still have the headache, but who cares?

Martha Stewart: If you have a problem opening jars, try using latex dishwashing gloves. They give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy.
Gypsy: Go ask the very cute neighbor to open it for you.

Martha Stewart: Don’t throw away all that leftover wine. Freeze it into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces.
Gypsy: Leftover wine?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is this thread going in a positive direction sounds a bit of the political sorts ::)

M

MiniMe

Sounds like someone likes to watch a little too much Martha, LOL.....guess I do too, since I've heard every single one of them....LOL

When preheating your oils for frying and your oil starts to get to hot before you're ready to throw in your food, just add a little more oil to bring down the temp.

My grandfather used to sprinkle sugar on his sliced tomatoes... said it reduced the acidity. Said it's the only way he could eat them without getting indigestion....

Peel the cucumber for less indigestion.

When making spaghetti noodles - when boiling the noodles add a little sauce to the water to add a little flavor and help them from sticking together.

When making mashed potatoes - after boiling and draining the potatoes, put the potatoes back in the pan and return to burner until you don't hear any more water sizzling. This gets rid of the excess water that can make your mashed potatoes soupy...

Instead of adding plain dried bread to your meatloaf - use stove top or whatever brand stuffing to it. Gives it plenty of seasoning and the bread all at once.

After coating fish, chicken or steak with the typical egg, milk and flour...or whatever combination you use...place on a cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick oil and put in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before frying. Gives the coating time to set...Coating will stay on better, especially with fish.

Instead of cutting the top off the green/reg/orange/yellow pepper for slicing and trying to get all the seeds out. Just slice down each side...you get the vain and no seeds at all. Then slice the chunks.

Too get the stuck on stuff off the bottom of your pan....return it to the burner and add some hot water...let it come to a boil and slide a spatula across the bottom...should come wright off.

Instead of spending all that time chopping, dicing or mincing garlic, buy it in the jars already done for you....it's just as good, saves a lot of time and the added olive oil that it's stored in adds flavor.

Never use soap and water to clean a seasoned cast iron skillet. My grandma used to just wipe the skillet clean with a damp cloth....said the water and soap will ruin the pan.

Instead of spending the extra money on buying a sweet tasting barbecue sauce....buy the original brand, add some brown sugar or honey, which ever you prefer, a little garlic and onion powder and a dash of beer...The more sugar the thicker the sauce...great on ribs.

If you have problems with the bottom crust of your pie cooking all the way....preheat a cookie sheet in the oven, place the pie on the cookie sheet then bake.

Trying to get your kids to eat some greens and they won't....try this...Add them to their spaghetti sauce. Take a little sauce for their spaghetti and put in a separate pan. Take some cooked green beans and put them in a food processor or blender until they're mush then add them to their Spaghetti sauce while your cooking it. ....They don't taste them and they don't see green...but they eat it...I've done it with other veggies too. Just don't add too much.

Trouble with edges of pie crust burning before the pie is done..cover edges with aluminum foil before cooking....take off last 15-20 minutes of cooking pie.

When cooking stuffed peppers in the oven and the peppers never seem to cook enough....blanch in boiling water before stuffing and baking..makes a nice cooked pepper.

When making a roue...after combining butter and flour you can add all liquid at one time if using a whisk to mix....keeps the lumps out.

Save time on Xmas cookies by mixing dough and freezing up to a month before ready to cook them.

Freezing liquids - soups, chilli's, etc. Make sure you leave at least 1/2" at the top of the container before freezing...contents will rise and open container if not.

Last but not least....always double the recipe if you can and freeze for a dinner another night...saves a lot of time.

I'll stop boring you now....I could go on for hours...Live, Laugh, Love and EAT!!!! ;)

Noweat

May 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of secrets for cooking French fries. This is my favorite dish for ever and I do it perfect. You should do it with air fryer vs deep fryer, but beter will be air. The main stages in the preparation are first - not suitable for young potatoes, because it is too watery. It is best to take a mature potato and without starch. Sliced potatoes should be pre-soaked for at least 20 minutes and frying with sea salt. Also, you should use refined deodorized oil - it will taste better.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread