Cool little Jetton

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this Jetton detecting yesterday at my favorite spot I have detected many time's. . It is a little larger than a penny, and half the thickness of a penny. Friedrich August I King of Saxony. Back says Fame and Fortune and jetton in German at the bottom. 1806 to 1827. These were used as coinage back in the day. You just never know what you will dig up and where odd things turn up. This is the same area I have found many Colonial coins and artifacts before. Thanks for looking.
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG

Upvote 14

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this Jetton detecting yesterday at my favorite spot I have detected many time's. . It is a little larger than a penny, and half the thickness of a penny. Friedrich August I King of Saxony. Back says Fame and Fortune and jetton in German at the bottom. 1806 to 1827. These were used as coinage back in the day. You just never know what you will dig up and where odd things turn up. This is the same area I have found many Colonial coins and artifacts before. Thanks for looking. View attachment 1984563 View attachment 1984564
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read it as glory and fame; great save.
Don.......

Depending on context, "Glück" translates variously as “happiness/fortune/(good) luck” and “ruhm” as “fame/glory/splendour”. As a homilie, the nearest English equivalent to “[für] Glück und Ruhm” would be “[for] Fame and Fortune” (with the two nouns swapped round).

Incidentally, although these jettons did see use as alternative small change (generally passing as one pfennig) at local levels during periods of shortage of small coins, they weren’t produced as such. Made in large volumes with various designs they were produced as ‘counters’ to be used as playthings and in card games.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread