Cool rough stone

Chr038

Sep 7, 2022
This stone has got me going in circles, I don't know if it's jadper\agate or opal. I have this little one and a bigger one I found not far from it.
IMG_20220820_174128.jpg
IMG_20220820_174152.jpg
ths one is big brother wasent too far from the top the smaller one above. No one can give me any awnsers on them so I been posting where I can hoping for something
IMG_20220417_210354_DRO.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 5

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't know what it is, but that's a beautiful blue/turquoise color...:occasion14:

Welcome to the site..:hello:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea either but welcome to Treasurenet

OP
OP
C

Chr038

Sep 7, 2022
Thanks for response.
You wouldn't happen to know if chalcedony is hard to cutt would ya? The top two photos are the same stone different shots and it is really , I mean really hard. It took awhile with tile saw. Thanks

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chalcedony would be about the same hardness in a scratch test as ceramic tile, but has near zero porosity. Much, much more dense, and much more to cut.

OP
OP
C

Chr038

Sep 7, 2022
Chalcedony would be about the same hardness in a scratch test as ceramic tile, but has near zero porosity. Much, much more dense, and much more to cut.
Thank you kindly for the answer, it will help a lot, I wasent sure if the difference in agates and others were from colors or stone its self , . Thanks again, my next research is multicolored and if it means anything

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can be tough to name each rock that gets posted. As for this particular mineral, I'll say it's one composed of primarily of a microcrystalline structure. https://m.minerals.net/mineral_glossary/microcrystalline.aspx
A variety of chalcedony I'm thinking would be a good description, but putting an actual name of a particular mineral specimen is tough at times because there are so many different rocks out there with names and many that have no particular name or waiting for some mineralologist to give it one.

OP
OP
C

Chr038

Sep 7, 2022
It can be tough to name each rock that gets posted. As for this particular mineral, I'll say it's one composed of primarily of a microcrystalline structure. https://m.minerals.net/mineral_glossary/microcrystalline.aspx
A variety of chalcedony I'm thinking would be a good description, but putting an actual name of a particular mineral specimen is tough at times because there are so many different rocks out there with names and many that have no particular name or waiting for some mineralologist to give it one.
Thanks alot for all the info, I'm trying to clean up the cut on the colorful stone we cut, we had to chisel center doe to hardness. I will check site . Much appreciated. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread