🥇 BANNER Copper Culture Sawtooth Spear Point.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this 15 minutes ago in central Wisconsin. Still shaking in my boots. Is this the real deal? I did hit it with my shovel chasing a quarter signal.. How do I prevent it from flaking apart? For now it's in a zipper bag till I get home later today. I hope this is real. Always wanted to find a Copper spear.

20230521_094252.jpg

IMG_20230521_094641_01.jpg

20230521_094740.jpg

20230521_094823.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 117

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here is some information from The Milwaukee Public Museum regarding these types of spear points and the age range. I'm so over the moon with this find. Thanks for looking.
The artifact you found is definitely museum quality!!! Thanks again for sharing.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STELLAR FIND!!!!!! I wouldn't do anything to it until you talk with some PROS in the area of preserving it the right way!!! LIFETIME find!!!!! CONGRATZ....

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STELLAR FIND!!!!!! I wouldn't do anything to it until you talk with some PROS in the area of preserving it the right way!!! LIFETIME find!!!!! CONGRATZ....
Agree, it survived thousands of years in the ground, without ANY help. The native copper it was made from is as old as the cooled off earth.
Please, DO NOT smear some glue on it as already suggested.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I found this beautiful sawtooth spear point yesterday. I was detecting in central Wisconsin when this came out of the ground. I can still hardly believe it. Do any experts know about how old it may be or the people who would have made and or used it? Posted in today's finds but was suggested I post it here as well. Thanks for looking!

20230521_094252.jpg

IMG_20230521_094641_01.jpg

20230521_094740.jpg

20230521_094823.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner for sure, huge congrats!

Btw, I use something called paraloid to preserve items of bone, horn or anything that needs to be stabilized. I learned about it by reading up on techniques used by The Smithsonian and other museums.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all so much again for your suggestions and banner votes. I am very humbled by this find to say the least. I still have not applied anything to it. Working on contacting someone at the museum and what the next steps should be. I'll keep you all updated as time goes on. Sorry I can't reply to everyone individually but I thank you all so very much.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Awesome, I nominate for banner (can't find the button, do they still do this?)

Sawtooth-base Points​

artifacttype17.jpg

These unique types of projectile point are less commonly found. There are fewer than 20 in the museum collection and they were found in both Michigan and Wisconsin. The size range is usually smaller, between 4 to 15 centimeters. The saw-tooth-base is an ingenious form of hafting, resulting in a very secure projectile.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really amazing. Congrats on your find. I know nothing -- is that from the vikings or the Spaniards or whom?
Thanks Mortenson. No this spear predates them by quite a while. It's from the natives of North America 1500BC and earlier if I'm not mistaken. I may be wrong but so far that's my understanding. Could still be older than that. Buckleberrys comment above has a good link with a ton of information.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, I nominate for banner (can't find the button, do they still do this?)

Sawtooth-base Points​

artifacttype17.jpg

These unique types of projectile point are less commonly found. There are fewer than 20 in the museum collection and they were found in both Michigan and Wisconsin. The size range is usually smaller, between 4 to 15 centimeters. The saw-tooth-base is an ingenious form of hafting, resulting in a very secure projectile.

Thank you so much for the reply Buckleberry. I just measured the point and it's just shy of 20cm so bigger than what they say is normal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions