Copper Kettle Native American Arrowhead (the second one found in 3 months)

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I found this copper arrowhead in the forest floor about five minutes walk from where I found a larger one nearly three months ago. My Nox 900 easily pegged it over 4 inches deep with sensitivity maxed to 28 in relic 1.

This a large clean forest in terms of metallic debris so I will dig any signal. Only pre-1960 shotgun shell bases here and not many. Not far from fresh water, shellfish beds, and a small protected tidal bay where you could drop a canoe in and paddle all the way from eastern Long Island, NY to New England (which we know they did). I cherish contact period finds. It was such a brief period before smallpox destroyed much of these cultures.

I like finding these isolates as they show you a used finished product as opposed to campsite debris. Bent tip on this one. Maybe remnants of pine resin on one side. The third and fourth shots are of the copper point I found nearby and posted here nearly three months ago.

Attachments

• tres390.jpg
    tres390.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 65
  • tres391.jpg
    tres391.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 35
  • tres343.jpg
    tres343.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 34
  • tres344.jpg
    tres344.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 26

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This morning I found this copper arrowhead in the forest floor about five minutes walk from where I found a larger one nearly three months ago. My Nox 900 easily pegged it over 4 inches deep with sensitivity maxed to 28 in relic 1.

This a large clean forest in terms of metallic debris so I will dig any signal. Only pre-1960 shotgun shell bases here and not many. Not far from fresh water, shellfish beds, and a small protected tidal bay where you could drop a canoe in and paddle all the way from eastern Long Island, NY to New England (which we know they did). I cherish contact period finds. It was such a brief period before smallpox destroyed much of these cultures.

I like finding these isolates as they show you a used finished product as opposed to campsite debris. Bent tip on this one. Maybe remnants of pine resin on one side. The third and fourth shots are of the copper point I found nearby and posted here nearly three months ago.
At about what time period would the copper kettle points been made & used? Thanks.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At about what time period would the copper kettle points been made & used? Thanks.
Most likely made early to mid-1600's from copper kettles traded by the Dutch and English. By the early 1700's, around 3/4s of of Long Island's native culture was decimated by smallpox. The tribes which inhabited my area were vassals of the larger more powerful Narragansett in RI. During the mid-1600's there were raids by the Narragansett in the area where I found this point so I cannot rule out it being of Narragansett origin. They had access to colonial copper objects and I have seen similar types of copper points coming from coastal New England. My area was a wampum producer thus had regional trade.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most likely made early to mid-1600's from copper kettles traded by the Dutch and English. By the early 1700's, around 3/4s of of Long Island's native culture was decimated by smallpox. The tribes which inhabited my area were vassals of the larger more powerful Narragansett in RI. During the mid-1600's there were raids by the Narragansett in the area where I found this point so I cannot rule out it being of Narragansett origin. They had access to colonial copper objects and I have seen similar types of copper points coming from coastal New England. My area was a wampum producer thus had regional trade.
Thanks for the history lesson. I appreciate it. I'll find a kettle point some day in Kansas. Swinging the coil! Dirt Fishin!!!

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the knowledge. Very interesting.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread