Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone seen one of these before?

Jeton 1.JPG Jeton 2.JPG

It seems to be styled on the Louis XV (Ludwig XV) French jetons relating to the Commissaires-Controleurs des Bois à Bâtir (Royal Lumber Controllers). The date has been punched through so it can be used as a pendant and – although the last digit looks like a ‘1’ in the picture - it is actually a ‘2’, which would be correct for the 1732 date seen on these pieces.

Obverse: Bust of Louis XV and legend LUD • XV • REX CHRISTIANISS (Ludwig XV Most Christian of Kings)

Reverse: Minerva seated, holding ruler and legend SENSU JUSTITIA REDDITUR OMNI with COMMISS •.CONTROL •. DES BOIS A BATIR 1732

Some sources describe them as ‘tokens’, but ‘jeton’ appears to be correct. They’re described as ‘silver’ but without specifying the fineness. French silver coins of the period would be .917 I think, but this seems to be of lesser quality if it’s a silver alloy at all. It was also once gilded, but I guess that may have been done for the purpose of using it as a pendant.

Later restrike from the original dies or relatively modern copy? First one I’ve seen in either case.

Last edited:

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Upvote 3
OP
OP
Red-Coat

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - it looks ok to me... it had an adventurous life! :) Are there known restrikes? I know the French like to do that but I'm not sure it is something strictly differentiated on something like this.

Here are a couple from Worthpoint. The second example gives a weight of 9.7gs. Is your piece in line with that?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/louis-xv-france-jeton-token-silver-2001890419 $35.00

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/france-lud-xv-rex-christianiss-sensu-472717465 $85.00

Thanks Bramblefind.

Mine weighs 9.9g but weights seem to vary somewhat. From various sites the weight is given as: Gadoury Monaco 9.96g; Montay Numismatique 9.93g; Numista 9.9g; MA-Shops 9.69g; iNumis 9.47g; and cbg.fr 9.12g.

The examples shown don't suggest that the weight differences are related to wear or corrosion. Maybe, as a jeton, it just wasn't made to very tight standards compared to coins.

Upvote 3

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat - " Maybe, as a jeton, it just wasn't made to very tight standards compared to coins."

That could be it.
Wide variance on weights.
It does appear they were made with notably loose tolerances.

Terrible alignment on this one :

Jeton 2.jpg

Appears to be a purity problem with the metal on this one ? :

jeton.jpg

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread