bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Goodmorning everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of anyone locating the galleon that supposedly hit Bishop Rock off Cortes off the Southern California coast? Ive been reading some about it but not much information on this wreck. From what ive found it was the Santa Rosa and very deep water around Cortes that ive seen so if it did in fact wreck there it may be in deep water. Just wanted to see if anyone has heard anything recent.

Mike

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasurenet !!
Are you referring to the Cortes Bank, located SW of Cataline Island? I've read reports of up to 5 galleons have been lost near southern California islands. But even if one were found, fat chance of getting the State of California to allow it to be salvaged. You need only review the experience of Bob Marx; and the end result of the Brother Jonathan salvage to see how California would react to a salvage permit request.

Don.........

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Hi Don,
Yes that is where I was referring to. I was reading somewhere that it is international waters, so how could California claim it? Maybe I am wrong but im sure that is what I was reading. I was just seeing if anyone has heard anything recent on any of those wrecks. I have read about other galleons wrecking by the Catalina islands but those are a lot closer to California coast where they are in the jurisdiction of the state, Since the Cortes banks are over 100 miles offshore I was thinking they were international. Thanks for the reply Don. Have a good weekend!

Mike

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Well, been looking at some info about international waters and am seeing 24 miles up to 200 miles. So I am guessing that its the 200 miles considered international. I believe you are correct about California having jurisdiction in that area. No wonder there is no current information on any of those wrecks out there! When Mel Fisher was looking off the Cortes banks years ago there weren't all these laws that are in effect today. I doubt that anyone will be able to pursue any of those wrecks.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mike,
You may be right about the Cortes Bank not being under California jurisdiction.
Here's an interesting sidebar:
"Among other notable events in the history of the Cortes Bank is the fairly disastrous exploration of the Bank for treasure in 1957 by Mel Fisher. He was convinced that the wreckage of a Spanish Galleon lay on the seafloor off the Bishop Rock. The expedition found no treasure, but the ship carrying Fisher burned nearly to her waterline."
Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortes_Bank
Don...

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Don...I was looking at a nautical chart which shows maritime boundries and it is showing the boundry ending just east of the Cortes Bank. It may not be in the jurisdiction of California. I am not finding anything that is absolutely factual showing whether or not it is.
I have been looking through forums to see if anyone has ever found any kind of objects of a shipwreck of that era off Cortes. No luck so far. Its interesting when you really start looking into something :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Don,
Interesting...it sure looks like it is within their jurisdiction! These days its all this grey area that makes things difficult! Thanks for the info Don.
Have a good night.

Mike

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve Lawson

Greenie
Nov 14, 2008
Aside from the San Agustin lost somewhere off the SF Bay area in 1595. there is no archival or physical evidence to suggest that any galleon has been lost off what is now California. As for the Cortes Bank, the US has claimed it within its jurisdiction. The State of California's boundary ends at three miles out to sea and since Bishop is 15' below the surface, there is no land mass there and no California jurisdiction. Now if you were actually to find galleon off Cortes, that might change...

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Hi Steve,

I was wondering where the boundary line was at. The only line I have seen as far as international waters boundary was a line just to the east of Cortes Bank, and that is about 100 miles out. Been doing a lot of online research and reading about the wreck supposedly off of Cortes. Mel Fisher had looked for it in the 50s before the Atocha expedition. He seemed to think that there was a wreck out there but its vast and very rough seas in that area. Im sure you are correct, if one is found all the sudden it would be claimed as California jurisdiction!
Thank you for that info!

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet !!
Are you referring to the Cortes Bank, located SW of Cataline Island? I've read reports of up to 5 galleons have been lost near southern California islands. But even if one were found, fat chance of getting the State of California to allow it to be salvaged. You need only review the experience of Bob Marx; and the end result of the Brother Jonathan salvage to see how California would react to a salvage permit request.

Don.........
Don, Do you have a copy of The Treasure Ship by Dennis Powers. Its the story of the BJ. I'm done with mine.
Bob

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happens if I'm searching for sea urchins off CA coast and find gold coins. Can I keep them or have to wait for CA to approve removal?

OP
OP
B

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
What happens if I'm searching for sea urchins off CA coast and find gold coins. Can I keep them or have to wait for CA to approve removal?
I don’t think you can even collect sea urchins unless you have a permit…which is incredibly difficult to obtain these days!

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think you can even collect sea urchins unless you have a permit…which is incredibly difficult to obtain these days!
I would think just a fishing license.

What if I'm free diving for urchins and I find coins. If they were on the beach I could keep them, but underwater??
Thoughts?

Porthole

Apr 28, 2022
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As for the question if Cortes Bank is under the jurisdiction of California, that is a mute discussion anyway because Cortes Bk is captured within the 200 Nauti. mile EEZ, so you would be dealing with the Federal Gov. Furthermore, there are a lot more entertaining words written about California galleons than there are galleons (actually singular, not plural) See Steve's post of Nov. 15, 2018.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bob,
I personally knew Don Knight (RIP) and met him often; once on the "Yellow Submarine".
I competed with Knight is locating the BJ; but I could only find hot water pipes that extended from the boiler to other areas in the vessel--and next to BJ rock, no where near where he found her. I gave him my video and we talked for years about what has yet to be found. I'll leave it at that.
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread